Just Back from Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underwasser bolt

Contributor
Reaction score
Have not even had time to unpack yet, but the trip was great.

Stayed at Happy Holiday Homes in a one bedroom bungalow. We were very impressed with the entire setup of Happy Holiday Homes. Each unit has a private fenced in area with a rinse station and gear locker that allows you to securely hang wet gear. HHH made arrangements for a truck through Budget at the airport and we were greated with a brand new Toyota Hilux even though our flight was 2 hours late (after 10pm). The bungalow at HHH home was clean and equipped with a full kitchen. HHH also arranged for unlimited Nitrox at Dive Friends which has about 5 locations spread over the east coast of the island, so we were always fairly close to a tank exchange location.

As far as diving, we logged 20 dives from last thursday until 11am yesterday. Currents on the south point were ripping. We dove Red Slave and ended up having to do it as a drift dive. Other locations were more moderate. My favorites were Bari Reef at night, Oil Slick, and Karpata.

We ate at Casablanca, Richards, Patagonia, Vespucci's, and Garden Cafe. The best was Richards by a mile, followed by Casablanca adn Vespucci's in a tie. Garden Cafe has some interesting twists on pizza, so I liked it. Can not recommend Patagonia. The food quality was not even close to Richard's and the prices were comparable.

Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy is a must. It made diving some sites much easier. I found the ratings of easy, intermediate, advanced to be accurate for me.

Summary: do Happy Holiday Home; do Richards. Get BSDME; read the threads here on SB concerning how to travel Bonaire. Example: I saw MANY people trying to spend $100 US bills, but I knew from SB that no bill larger than $20 would be accepted. I discovered that and many other valuable tips by searching SB.

Thanks for the report, you're sure on top of things! We also just (Saturday) returned from Bonaire (2 week trip) and I haven't had the umph to post a report yet. Glad to know you had a great time too.

Now prepair for a horrible onset of PBD.

.......Stayed at Happy Holiday Homes in a one bedroom bungalow. We were very impressed with the entire setup of Happy Holiday Homes. Each unit has a private fenced in area with a rinse station and gear locker that allows you to securely hang wet gear. ......

Thanks for the post. I am on my way to Bonaire (second trip) in a couple of months and am curious about the cost of the HHH single bungalow. I stay at Den Laman (which I do think is great from my last trip) but the convenience of a bungalow with a rinse station and place to hang wet gear...WOW would that be much nicer.

Thanks for the post. I am on my way to Bonaire (second trip) in a couple of months and am curious about the cost of the HHH single bungalow. I stay at Den Laman (which I do think is great from my last trip) but the convenience of a bungalow with a rinse station and place to hang wet gear...WOW would that be much nicer.

HHH site is:

Bonaire Apartment Rates at Happy Holiday Homes

We did the superior 1 bedroom and paid the $75 per night. Important to remember this is for the bungalow and is NOT per person. So, I paid $75 x 6 nights, unlimited nitrox was $105 PER PERSON, truck rental was arranged through Budget and was about $315 for the week, and I had basic staples stocked in the refrig for a bit less than $30.

The total cost of this (i did not include tax, etc) was a bit over $1000 for the week including the vehicle rental.

We shopped the local markets and ate breakfast and lunch at the bungalow. We spent maybe $100 on groceries for the week, but we ate a modest breakfast and lunch. We ate out 5 nights for a cost of about $350 total. Cost for the week: about $1600. So, including airfare for two from DFW, I made it out for about $3K.

well he made it back. unless he drifted all the way home. in which case he still owes his airport tax.

the currents were pushing us back up the west coast. I almost dove the lighthouse, but it looked too hairy. turned out to be a good call because red slave was hairy enough. In fact, a truck load of younger divers pulled up to red slave as we were exiting. they asked about conditions and I described them. they headed back up the road for easier pickings.

Oh, I know i should not feed the :troll:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom