Trip Report Just back from first trip to CURACAO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What valuables? I took valuables underwater. The thief took my shorts, my baseball cap, 2 water bottles and 2 bananas. If I left the car open, he could have taken these just as well. There is a guard but he shows up around 9.

Some people like to leave some valuables in a locked vehicle, so it matters.

I like to leave valuables in the safe, but to each his own I guess.

Nope, similar rules to Bonaire. I personally (N=1) have had less issues on Curacao. I've done both a half dozen times each and have had my truck rifled on Bonaire a couple of times with nothing taken other then a granola bar, but whose really counting granola bars. No issues to date on Curacao, but I dive out of a car on Curacao as opposed to a truck on Bonaire (car much cheaper on Curacao and once you get the hang of it, no real issues) so maybe that has something to do with it. Who knows...luck of the draw...either or neither is that much of an issue. YMMV. I really like both for different reasons. Headed to Curacao in October (it's an even numbered year :)).

Last edited:
I like to leave valuables in the safe, but to each his own I guess.

I used the term loosely. In Bonaire threads where some angrily bemoaned the state of having to leave nothing of value in your vehicle least it be taken, a variety of things have been mentioned...including a cooler with sandwiches and drinks, a digital camera (not in an underwater case) for topside pictures, perhaps a cell phone (not a bad thing if you break down in an isolated place), etc...

Richard.

Yes. Knowing the established practice is valuable. I imagine as time goes on we’ll see sites broken down by whether one need do that or not. Some people like to leave some valuables in a locked vehicle, so it matters. Richard.

One of the things we loved about Bonaire and Curacao was the ability to drive down the open road and stop by a painted rock to dive, and be the only people on the site, but the significant risk of robbery has somewhat dampened the fun of that experience. And as we have gotten older some of the entries and exits seem more challenging.

"Pirate shore dives" used to be the norm on Grand Cayman, too. The dive shops gave you the tanks and weights and told you where to go to find the best shore dives, and provided tips about the best entrance and exit, and suggestions for the cool things to see and the best time of day or night to dive.

Nowadays, there is usually a vendor onsite at the popular GC shore dives and you rent your tanks and weights from them - the price isn't bad, usually $12 to 15 dollars per tank with weights. It's not quite as much fun as the old days but it does have some advantages. You can park your car and not worry about break-ins, you can rent equipment if you need it, and sometimes there are rinse tanks, hangers, changing facilities, and showers available. Usually there are ladders or steps for easy entry/exit, and there may be a restaurant onsite or nearby so you can grab a nice lunch between dives and a drink after diving.

Part of me misses the old way and part of me appreciates the perks available with the new process; I'd probably feel the same way about Curacao and Bonaire if similar changes are coming to their shore dives, too.

Last edited:
And as we have gotten older some of the entries and exits seem more challenging.

@KathyV , you need my magic shore diving PVC support apparatus (i.e. cane). It made Bonaire fun again for my wife and I. PM me and I'll shoot you the specs. :)

I used the term loosely. In Bonaire threads where some angrily bemoaned the state of having to leave nothing of value in your vehicle least it be taken...

I know, couldn't resist. My uncle used to live a block from a bar, every Friday and Saturday night he'd leave his car parked at the curb unlocked with windows part-way down and no cigarettes (or anything valuable) inside. An make sure my aunt's car was the same way. No points for guessing why -- and that was in a hotbed of international crime, an upscale-ish residential area in Perth Western Australia.

And besides, I'm sure we're all old enough to remember when we used to pop GPSes of the windshield and take 'em with us or hide under the dash, in regular safe North American supermarket parking lots.

Hey @KathyV , glad you found it. My wife and I are by no means decrepit :), but it even surprised us how much more fun shore diving is when the entries/exits are "no worries." :yeahbaby:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom