Trip Report Just back from GCM, a quick report...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Willar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just back from Grand Cayman for a trip with my kids (age 18, 21). We stayed at Morritt's on the East End but were very disappointed with the poor condition of our room, though the facilities and pools are quite nice. I would not stay there again due to the poor maintenance on the room and condition of the beds. As my daughter is not a diver we didn't go as a dive vacation but a family vacation.

For our first dive to double check our gear and weighting we did the shore dive at Sunset House. As always, the mermaid was beautiful and we had a great dive. One thing that stood out was the large number of garden eels in the sand between the mermaid and the barge wreck. It was amazing!

Later in the week we did a 2-tank deep wall & Kittiwake dive with Lobster Pot Dive Center who were great. We had contacted them ahead of the trip to arrange our date, their communications were prompt and comprehensive. Upon arrival they were expecting us and had everything ready to go. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The boat was a nice six-pack with 4 divers on board. The dive guide gave us an excellent tour of a deep wall with many swim-throughs. We did a 45 minute surface interval on the boat and then dropped in on the Kittiwake. Our guide had given us a thorough briefing and he did just as he said, gave us a great tour of all decks inside the boat. There are plenty of access/exit holes and the ship is easy to navigate through. The Kittiwake is a wonderful easy dive because it is so easy to enter/exit and the shallow nature allows long dive times. It was a wonderful dive experience. I will definitely use LPDC again in the future as their staff was wonderful.

We did the Stingray City glass-bottom boat tour out of Rum Point with Red Sail Sports. We timed the outing to avoid cruise ships and were happy to have only 1 other boat on the sandbar when we arrived. The wind was strong out of the south for several days and the sandbar was unusually wave swept, but it didn't dampen our fun. We were swarmed with rays, got to feed and hug several including an amazingly large, friendly female. (If only human females were so accommodating!) We were all thrilled with the experience. We made a second stop at a nearby reef for a bit of snorkeling which was an nice side trip.

For meals we ate three times at Tukka on the East End because the food was excellent! The first time they had grilled Lionfish as the feature of the evening and it was outstanding! The creamy conch chowder was excellent and served with warm fresh rolls. We returned twice more and enjoyed Lionfish tacos, burgers, gnocchi, and other fine food. It's not cheap but Tukka has excellent food!

We also dined at the Italian Kitchen near Morritt's for handmade pizzas which were very good. The service was indifferent, but brick-oven-style the pizzas were very good. We made a stop one day at Heritage Kitchen, a small roadside diner, and found the menu was 5 Grouper dishes and Curried chicken. Cayman-style Grouper, Pineapple Grouper, and Curried Chicken were all very tasty dishes and served with a side of rice and beans. This was the cheapest meal we ate out and was well worth the effort to find the place. We also ate at Macabucha and My Bar at Sunset House and very much enjoyed the food. I always love eating out and trying the fresh seafood, conch fritters and chowder while on the island and seldom am I disappointed. On departure day we ate at Lobster Pot Restaurant which is more of a fine-dining establishment. The prices were higher than we anticipated but since we just wanted lunch we went with Fish and Chips and the Pulled Pork Sandwich. Both were excellent. I will return here for a fine dining experience some evening in the future.

We rented our car very cheaply from Apex thru Expedia. Somehow Expedia had not sent thru our reservation but it was no problem as they had a small SUV for us. I'm glad I brought a printed reservation confirmation and they happily honored the price. Apex operates out of the Budget Rentals building with the same staff and our SUV had a Budget decal on the back.

Grand Cayman was great fun once again and I'll always have it on my list to return, but from now on I'll stay at Sunset House or another West Side location.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a lot of driving was involved though. Glad you had fun.

Nice report. Glad you enjoyed your trip to our favorite island. Would definitely be worth checking out the west side next time, especially if you have non-diving family members.

I knew when I booked that driving would be involved but that was where I had availability for a resort. We divided up our driving to the west side to certain days so it wasn't bad and got to see most of the island. And we got in some good R&R at the resort and Rum Point.

We were in the 5300 building which is along the road toward the Wyndham side. Our room had broken floor tiles in the kitchen that kept popping out, several broken tiles in the bathroom, a ceiling fan in the living room that sounded horrible and could not be used, a bad burn on the countertop, the sleeper sofa was badly bent and so worn out it couldn't be used, the roll away bed they brought had no wheels so when folded out it was U-shaped and had to be propped up with towels to lay flat, and the main bed was quite old and saggy. The grounds and pools were nice but our building was in serious need of rehab. Maybe we booked thru the wrong exchange (RCI) or made the hotel gods mad, but I was very disappointed.

Last edited:
We were in the 5300 building which is along the road toward the Wyndham side. Our room had broken floor tiles in the kitchen that kept popping out, several broken tiles in the bathroom, a ceiling fan in the living room that sounded horrible and could not be used, a bad burn on the countertop, the sleeper sofa was badly bent and so worn out it couldn't be used, the roll away bed they brough had no wheels so when folded out it was U-shaped and had to be propped up with towels to lay flat, and the main bed was quite old and saggy. The grounds and pools were nice but our building was in serious need of rehab. Maybe we booked thru the wrong exchange (RCI) or made the hotel gods mad, but I was very disappointed.
Well, don't give up on the place. It sounds like you got a raw deal! Most of the rooms are pretty freshly renovated. If you go there again, telephone L&M about 2 weeks beforehand and request a beach side unit. They may very well accommodate you. We have never had a bad unit there and have stayed many times.

Thanks for the great report! Did you get a chance to watch them feed the Frigate Birds at 5 or 5:30 pm at Tukka? It's really great!

We tried but it was very windy so the birds weren't so interested the day we were there at the right time. We enjoyed the tapas-style small dishes that day... so good!

Great report @Willar and thanks for taking the time to post. We all benefit! As a 2 time Sunset House patron, I especially enjoyed hearing about the garden eels out past the mermaid. I haven't had the opportunity to experience them in that location previously. Good to know. Also, thanks for the restaurant posts. I've frequented many of the ones you listed, but a couple would be new to me and sound worth checking out. Thanks Again!

Back
Top Bottom