Just back - not the best impression - this one is a definite skip it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm writing this trip off as a learning experience. My reasons for a trip (diving the best sites possible and getting in as many dives as possible) is diametrically opposed to my scuba clubs reasons for trips (socializing - good diving isn't a priority, great diving less so). Something I didn't know about, but do now.

I would like to offer that it was perhaps the group (leader) that caused the bad trip not the destination. If they have been to GC 12-14 times and those are the dives they chose I don't understand it either.

Easy to break off on your own. Call a good boat dive op that will take you someplace good. Most will pick you up, and it's a way to deal with the buddy situation. If your "group leaders" don't like it, tough s**t.

What restrictions are so onerous to you? I'll grant it's not the wild west. But while Cayman dive ops in general used to be much more uptight, it's relaxed a good deal over the years. Somehow the reputation still seems to stick. People will often say things like it's against the law to do this or that - quite often these things are not generally true, and not even laws.

It would be a shame to write off Cayman forever based on a lame trip that is not the fault of the place. While it can be expensive, there's lots of ways to save money and some people do do it on a budget. You can actually get pretty nice deals at most of the dive resorts sometimes, especially at less popular times of year which are still nice. (Where did you stay, anyway?)

I agree. I've learned from experience that when you go with a big group, you should feel free to break off on your own. After all, it is your hard earned money and your precious time off from work that you are using. If they don't like it, that is too bad.

My experience diving the north wall from boats has been nothing but positive. You dive your computer (whether on air or nitrox), no rushing, no babysitting (unless you want it), can pretty much go off and do your own thing. I couldn't ask for anything else, really.

What a thread, I feel sorry for the OP. I've had a couple very good trips to Cobalt Coast with DiveTech and two fantastic trips to Compass Point with Ocean Frontiers in the last decade. I would go back to the East End in a second. I have also been to LCBR twice in that period and recommend it very highly.

we dove there with don fosters..

the reef was OK.

the biggest problem i had was that the guides were swimming REALLY fast through them.. it seemed like a race.

the second dive my buddy and i said F this and lost the group swimming slowly.. the guide did not even notice we were gone for a long time. we would have been dead by the time she noticed had we had an issue.

That is the beauty of Little Cayman diving. You don't have to go with the group at all. The DM will draw a map of the site before you get in the water, set a (loose) profile for the dive, and then you are free to go wherever you want with whoever you want once you get underwater. No need to play follow the leader unless you really want to for some reason.

As was said above, the Caribbean is not the South Pacific. It simply doesn't have the overwhelmingly lush growth you will see in the Pacific. What it does have is $500-600 2-3 hr non-stop flights from the US to your destination instead of $1500-2000 18-20 hr multi stop marathon flights that it takes to get to the South Pacific. With that said, Little Cayman is among the best you will find in the Caribbean and you would be cheating yourself out of some really good diving if you wrote it off for the future on the basis of a bad experience with a dive guide on GC.

I've never felt constrained on a boat dive on GC. After the first day on the boat, any operator I've gone out with has been content to allow my buddy and I to head off on our own as long as we agreed to be back on the boat by 60 minutes and did not go into deco. If you act like an ass, they will obviously be less liberal.

Mandatory follow the leader through tunnels is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I would have given the group leader the bird and headed off on my own anyway.

As mentioned, there is some very good wall and shore diving on GC, and even better on the Brac and LC.

Don't let this bad experience prevent you from enjoying all the good things the Cayman Islands have to offer in the future.

A point of curiosity; Kharon, you've got a Solo Diver cert. Reading over the thread, and considering this post:

You need to go back and dive the north wall and the east end.

Not in this lifetime. Aside from the expense, the restrictions on divers are beyond what I can deal with.

You didn't even intend to go back to areas you know are apt to be much better, with the option to dive with a different group, and speak of restrictions in such a way that I don't get the idea what's bothering you is solely an issue with the group you were with.

Put plainly, did you wish to resolve your issue by going elsewhere solo diving, find out whatever op.s you tried wouldn't allow it, took issue with that and decided to write off the Caymans?

Quite a bit of speculation on my part, but I'm trying to put the pieces of this together, and that's what I came up with.

Richard.

It seems as if the "Group Leader" who supposedly has been to GC 12-14 times really had no interest in showing the group what GC diving has to offer.You stated it was more a social trip with diving an afterthought on the part of the "Group Leader".

Maybe you should voice a strong complaint to the Dive shop where this trip originated and explain what took place and the dives you were taken on were sub-par and not because of what GC has to offer but because of the "Group Leaders" indifference or ineptness in choosing dive sites.

I go to GC 3-5 times a year (I own on island) and have never had a bad trip........I should also mention I have been diving for almost 40 years and have probably dove most Caribbean islands.As mentioned before Dominica was spectacular.I always dive Eden Rock/Devils Grotto at least once every trip but only when the cruise ships aren't in and have seen lots of amazing stuff there.

I am not sure what restrictions you are talking about every dive op I have dove with has always let me and my buddy head off on our own after the first day.I do agree with the NO glove policy it does keep people from grabbing onto coral.

Expensive..........Oh yeah it is but I am from NY and am used to paying about the same as I do at home for restuarants etc..I have never been ripped off by any merchant or Gas station.

I think your main issue was the "Group Leader" .

Last edited:
Not in this lifetime. Aside from the expense, the restrictions on divers are beyond what I can deal with. Too many other places I want to experience (from now on I'll do that on my own terms).

There is either more to the story or the OP doesn't realize you can go to the Caymans without doing it with a local dive shop.

I could understand maybe writing off Grand Cayman, but to write off Brac and Little Cayman?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom