Just back - not the best impression - this one is a definite skip it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the dive shops here also charge for weights

anything of theirs you use is charged for.... why would weights be different?

some build it into the renal pricing of the bc, etc, Weights are expensive. they will have a few thousand dollars in weights to cover all the divers they may have out at once... why should they not recoup that investment.

If you already have the rest of your gear, i cannot understand why you would expect them too "loan" you weights?

if you are renting a package, then i think they should include them as they should be built into the price of the rest of the gear rental.

Because traveling with 40 pounds of lead in a suitcase is not only stupid, it's a good way to never see that bag (and lead) again. If someone loses a boat's lead, then charge them for it, but divers need lead just like they need a tank. There is a HUGE difference between a local NC charter boat and a dive destination that people travel to just to dive.

"and the touted west side diving that has exceptionally poor coral and fish life (Eden Rock, Devils Grotto, etc.)"

This is my problem with the review. Anyone who knows Grand Cayman knows that the west side is not know for he diving on the island. If that was your expectation, no wonder you were disappointed.

Spent a week on GC and unfortunately the "group leader" took us to more or less the same section of reef repeatedly for shore dives. I found the Eden Rock/Devil's Grotto area to be really poor. Lots of dead or unhealthy hard coral and very little fish life. Not interested in swim throughs of dead and dammaged coral.

The only dives that were worth doing (IMO) was the Kittywake (even though I don't like wrecks) and Oro Verdi/Paradise Reef - done from boat. Even these were disappointing from the standpoint of the "Cayman is the Diving Capital of the World / Best diving in the Caribbean" hype. NOT! There was more life but certainly not up to Bonaire or Dominica.

My exposure was entirely on the west end so I probably saw the worst of GC diving. However I would advise - this is an extremely expensive place to dive. A tank (air not nitrox) will run almost $16 US ($12.50 Cayman) and they charge you for weights - add another $5 to $6 Cayman for that ($6.25 to $7.50 US) - total between $20 and $25 for a mediocre shore dive. Definitely not worth the price of admission. Compare to Bonaire with a week of unlimited air (Nitrox free if you have the card) and weights free at $150 (doing 3 dives a day = $7.50 a dive)

The worst experience was being shortchanged repeatedly (not at dive shops) when paying in US and getting back change in Cayman Dollars. It ranged from always rounding your change down to an even Cayman dollar amount and keeping the rest to simply returning half the amount you were owed (waitress then disappeared till we left).

I'm glad I went as I always would have wondered. I will never go back as what I saw was that Cayman is extremely overrated, vastly over-hyped, and totally over-priced. There are way too many much better dive destinations that are less expensive and just as easy to get to.

Kharon,
I have not been to the 7 mile beach on Cayman for about ten years now.....but I will say that unless it has changed to a shocking degree--which I doubt, there are several ways I could enjoy it still.
First, while many will argue this( it is SB :) , it is my feeling that all Scuba divers should be decent at snorkeling....and the snorkeling off 7 mile beach is excellent.
The reefs are so shallow, to me it would be ridiculous to waste dollars on tank rentals for the shore dives. In other words--before the trip, learn to snorkel/freedive :)

When I was there, I also found it very easy to swim all the way to the wall-- breathing with a snorkel, then do a scuba dive on the wall....and then return to shore with snorkel. I did not find this as something that could be seen as a challenge to anyone other than the most sedentary of divers.

My first time ever to GC was in the early 80's, and the first boat dive had me all excited about exploring this fascinating destination----the cost was steep compared to Florida diving in those days, but we considered it a non-issue. However, it began getting strange when it was explained that we had to gear up on the beach, and swim to the boat...not far, and very easy, but just weird....so we did this, then settled into the boat....and 15 minutes later the boat drops anchor, and motors out about 200 yards...then re-anchors, and this is the dive site for the night dive we were to do...Now I was pissed...there was no way I needed the morons of this boat/shop, to motor me out 200 yards. The dive was actually nice, but for the rest of the trip, we did all the reefs from the beach with no boat--and one trip with a boat to the wall--after which we then did a few swimming trips to the wall--which were easy.

Cayman is a place where you can be "taken advantage of" if you don't know the "lay of the land". If you knew someone that was a regular diver there, and you are willing to freedive and swim a bit, Cayman could be a great deal for several trips..... I like the big marine life off Palm Beach County a lot more, but I did enjoy the beautiful underwater seascapes of Cayman. And I would go again :) ( but it would be mostly freediving)

Eden Rock lists the charge for weight at 30 cents a pound and 1.25 for a weight belt. That sounds like what we were charged. We considered it trivial. They provide a maintained entry with tables, showers, bathroom and entry ladder. There is no charge for using the facility. They charge for what you rent. I think on our second trip we did bring our own belts down but no wts. Again, the charge did not bother us and we knew in advance what to expect.

Has anyone ever looked into getting/making a belt that weighs 10 to 15 pounds, that you can wear on the plane, AND underwater on a dive trip?
I would tell the TSA it is a fitness belt, that causes one to burn more calories by walking with it.....I know of no restriction against this....as long as the weight portion of it could not be used as a weapon.
Thoughts? Musings? :)

Has anyone ever looked into getting/making a belt that weighs 10 to 15 pounds, that you can wear on the plane, AND underwater on a dive trip?
I would tell the TSA it is a fitness belt, that causes one to burn more calories by walking with it.....I know of no restriction against this....as long as the weight portion of it could not be used as a weapon.

Lead weights are specifically restricted in carry-on in MEX (Cozumel).

After doing several caravan group trip w my LDS, we decided to venture on our own. You would think after certification they would lead us back to the boat. When I booked w my LDS, I told them we are nervous because it will be our first salt water dives. They assured me there's a lot of instructors on the trip and they wouldn't let anything go wrong. My bouyancy was off after my OW, I went to the wrong boat to get beer, and ran out of air(my fault), trying to retrieve a camera. We been successful using different operator since than. Now, I have 80 dives and my husband was 40 dives.The only thing that I use my LDS for are social events and maintenance of my gear.
May 31-7 we will be in Grand Cayman diving the east/north using Morritts because they have an operator on the west side, Redsail June 12-17 when we are there after coming back from Little Cayman, June 7-12. We are looking forward to diving east/north/west dive sites. For Little Cayman, we are using Southern Cross. It's expensive but a friend of a friend may fly us from Grand Cayman to Little Cayman on his plane. Not sure if we will have time to dive Little Brac. Also, it's expensive to get to Little Cayman to Little Brac for a day trip. This will be the most expensive dive trip and we are using one timeshare to off set costs.
Happy diving!

I get charged $6. per tank at Eden Rock I show them my Cayman drivers license and get the local discount I think I get charged $8.(I don't pay much attention) at Sundivers for the same reason.

Unfortunately, TSA restrictions are whatever they feel like at the moment. I would be shocked if someone could get on board a plane with a 10# weight belt around their waist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom