Just bought a slightly used money air compressor.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got my compressor. Changed the oil in the compressor and the Honda engine. No metal at all that I could see. But then again, it only had 8 hours, 45 minutes on it. Date of manufature last year. The thing is just like new,got it for les than half the new price.

One problem I am seeing. Even though the over pressure valve has a sticker that says it was set to 4700 psi, air is blowing out of the valve at 3000. Not a huge deal, but would like to get a full 34 to 3600 fill for my HP tanks.

Can I adjust this thing, even though the manual says not to, or do I need to order a new relief vlave? Otherthan that, all is good. Thanks.

Mine is easy to adjust...very easy. They are all different thought. Post a pic.

First, What the heck is an outboard bearing?

Second, while you are correct that the aluminum flake in the oil has nothing to do with how it was used, your reasoning is an odd one that I have never even heard of.

Easy. Out board bearing as opposed to inboard.

Self explanatory I would have thought but it's in relation to the position of the piston conrods, to the support shaft bearing.

On a compressor crankshaft with three support bearings, when you have one at each end (end bearings) and one in the middle then it's a central bearing. But if its offset (to one end) then in relation to the piston relative to the conrods then its either inboard or outboard. (nearside or far side, outside or inside, take your pick its all the same just a method to describe positioning)

Used when discussing a compressor crankshaft as opposed to an engine crankshaft. Or were you thinking I meant "outboard" as in motor the sort you use to drive a boat LOL. Not to be confused with "Waterboard"

Bit like "Shaft Rotation" although it can only be either of two ways, right or left handed you have to add "When viewed from the flywheel" or in the case of a motor "When viewed from the drive end" in order to verify correct rotation.

If you want to look deeper into the problem with the MCH6 design it is the drive torque against the intermittent piston rod loads, crankshaft balance, inertia weight lightweight design and high RPM all putting a radial deflection on the shaft against it's axis of rotation, this is then all taken up not by the three bearings equally but by one. This particular bearing not being central, and by its position is described as "outboard" of the piston set.

Another of our "quant" terms with compressors is "overhung" used to describe another poor compressor design where two bearings are used, a heavy flywheel counter weight pulley counterbalances one end while the "extended" or overhung shaft where the conrods attach at the other. Again the conrods are attached "outboard" of the far side support bearing when viewed from the flywheel.

Clear as mud, but it makes sense to engineers, Its a British thing I guess.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but im reading and kinds of amaze me how every person have different opinion when it comes to compressors for a paintball field. That's why I joined this forum, to learn. let me give you guys a small briefing of my situation. For instance, I have a small paintball field, I have 4 bulk tanks two of 4500 and two 3000 psi and a alkin w31 that I got when I purchased the field. last week the compressor broke a rod, I contacted airetex, but the communication wasn't the best imo, I was going to buy a new compressor in a near future but had to overtake these event and decided to buy a new one. Maybe I receive 100 or 150 players tops visit my field every month, why every one says that I need a bigger compressor for the low volume of players that visit my field? can a coltri/nuvair/max-air/whatevermorenameare 4.2 cfm do the job for my small setup?

BTW sorry for my English I'm from Puerto Rico and we speak Spanish here, and sometimes we write like we speak, English is out second language.

No ... the MCH6 is not rated for continuous duty and hooking it up to a bulk bottle will eat it up in short order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom