Just Bought a Used AL80: Swapping Valves Whilst Maintaining EAN40 Clean Status

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just bought a used Luxfer AL80 off craigslist here in Houston. Born on 11/2003, last hydro 3/2009, last VIP 3/2009 and O2 cleaned. So, it needs a new VIP, also I want to replace the yoke valve (for sale here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...-30-yoke-valve-o2-clean-20-shipped-conus.html) with a Thermo VA300 300 bar DIN valve. Do I have to pay for a new O2 cleaning?? Thermo valves all come ready for EAN40, and I don't plan on diving anything richer than EAN32. Assuming my LDS uses christolube on the threads ... why cough up another $25?? Second, this cylinder came with TONS of stickers, grease pen markings, sharpie markings, and a black plastic boot "which I've never removed" the owner proudly claimed >_< Should I just let my LDS worry about cleaning this mess, or can I safely remove it with some Goo-Gone and a Scotch Brite?? Is there anything else I should do?? Thanks.

Last edited:
If you never plan to have the cylinder filled via partial pressure filling then swapping the valve is fine. If partial pressure filling then the valve should be O2 clean.

I would clean the sticker mess yourself as your dive shop might charge you extra for the removal.

This is what confuses me. The tank and valve are O2 clean to 100% right now, but in my nitrox course, we learned that the INSTANT the LDS takes the valve off, the tank is no longer EAN40 clean. I don't suspect I'll fill off partial preassure, at least not locally. If I travel, I'm going to have to rent tanks anyway ...

This is what confuses me. The tank and valve are O2 clean to 100% right now, but in my nitrox course, we learned that the INSTANT the LDS takes the valve off, the tank is no longer EAN40 clean. I don't suspect I'll fill off partial preassure, at least not locally. If I travel, I'm going to have to rent tanks anyway ...

:confused:

O2 is only required if partial pressure blending is used, regardless if it is 22% or 100%. 100% O2 is put in the bottle and then topped off with air, 21%.

If your LDS banks nitrox, then tanks don't have to be O2 cleaned for up to 40%.

Taking the valve off the tank shouldn't affect the tanks O2 clean status.

O2 cleaning the bottle isn't nearly as important as the valve because that is where the O2 is forced through restrictions and these restrictions are where heat can be generated causing a flash.

Get Vance Harlows Oxygen Hackers Companion. Vance Harlow's OXYGEN HACKER'S COMPANION From AIrspeed Press

It is a great read and well go into depth about O2 cleaning and how to do it your self. As he says, it is not rocket science it is kitchen science.

Back
Top Bottom