Just call me a cork or dork. . .they both apply . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is amazing that you completed a certification course and were never taught a concept as simple as "air rises to the highest point" and that you needed to being your vent hole to the same place, be it your hose, or dump valve, or whatever. You should ask for a refund.

Betty, don't worry about it. People to whom this came naturally think it's simple. For those of us who find it challenging, it's not. But the one thing that's certain: Anxiety floats. When you worry about your buoyancy, your breathing changes and you make yourself more positive, and most of the time, you're so focused on the suit or the wing or whatever that you don't even NOTICE the breathing change.

One thing that was repeatedly recommended to me, and which did seem to help fine tune my buoyancy (long after the gross problems of corking were pretty much gone) was deliberately to spend time hanging in midwater. I don't know whether the ascent issues you are having are coming up an ascent line, on free ascents, or ascents upslope, but if it's mostly in midwater, try just planning to spend the 15 minutes of your dive doing stops at 30, 20 and 10, and just sitting there for a full five minutes. At the beginning, it will be hard, and you'll yo-yo, but if you keep it up, eventually you'll learn how to relax and you'll stabilize. Doc Intrepid told me, three plus years ago, that 90% of buoyancy is mental, and he was right. When I stopped psyching myself out, things got much better.

Thanks! I know we all have skills we are good at and ones we need to work on - different for everyone.. . I do need to relax at the 20 foot mark because I am anxious when I get to that depth knowing I have this issue . . I'll focus on that too.

I hate poorly designed, air trapping BCs. Good thing you figured out you had one and knew how to compensate. Sounds like you have it figured out, you just need more practice. I'd recommend several dives at 15 feet or shallower.

Thanks Walter . . I'm going to work on it this weekend. And I am going to plan my dives this weekend. Till now I've been happily following the lead of others. My dive buddies have been on me to plan them myself so I understand the nuiances.

It is amazing that you completed a certification course and were never taught a concept as simple as "air rises to the highest point" and that you needed to being your vent hole to the same place, be it your hose, or dump valve, or whatever. You should ask for a refund.

:rofl3: Oh I am quite certain they did teach it . . . and obviously it didn't stick with me. Can't blame the trainer when the trainee didn't remember it among the 1,000 other little things she was trying to learn in cert.

Being shown, and learning, are two different matters.

You can easily forget what you are shown, but you're far less likely to lose what you have truly learned.

I am sure you were shown.

And you should have been hovering all through your checkout dives, and the 23 dives that followed. Did your instructor not include a buoyancy control section in your open water? Hovering at any depth should be second nature, and not a surprise when you find your actually neutrally buoyant in the water column.

Being shown, and learning, are two different matters.

You can easily forget what you are shown, but you're far less likely to lose what you have truly learned.

I am sure you were shown.

And you should have been hovering all through your checkout dives, and the 23 dives that followed. Did your instructor not include a buoyancy control section in your open water? Hovering at any depth should be second nature, and not a surprise when you find your actually neutrally buoyant in the water column.

Yep and have had some success and alot of failures . . . you've dove with me . . . anything specific you want to point out?

:D

My original pool time was with a shop that I don't recommend. 9 students and 2 instructors. Not alot of focus on buoyancy. My o/w cert was with an awesome instructor with another shop . . . I learned the most from him. Have had a number of dive buddies since and most have offered advice along the way that has helped.

Some have offered no advice.

You would be welcomed to join us this weekend at Dutch, and spend an afternoon diving with our instructors as we teach our National Geographic & Peak Performance Buoyancy class to our new open water students on Sunday. Guaranteed we'll get your weighting right and your buoyancy well controlled.

Let me know if you want to take advantage of this - it's my gift to you!

You would be welcomed to join us this weekend at Dutch, and spend an afternoon diving with our instructors as we teach our National Geographic & Peak Performance Buoyancy class to our new open water students on Sunday. Guaranteed we'll get your weighting right and your buoyancy well controlled.

Let me know if you want to take advantage of this - it's my gift to you!

Thanks! I'll do that!

Call Bev at the shop 215-256-6000 and let her know and we will take care of you this weekend!

We'll look forward to seeing your smiling face, hanging where ever YOU want it to hang in the water column on Sunday, exhibiting perfect buoyancy!

Back
Top Bottom