Just curious

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once every 2 to 3 years.

We try to do 1 dive trip per year, but we also like to go other places (Bonaire, Belize so far).

We are mostly babysitter and budget limited. Plenty of vacation time, but minimum cost for a week-long dive trip is $3k. Begs the question.... those that are doing 3+ trips per year.... trustfunders? :wink:
"Babysitter" is a big clue. No kids means no babysitter worries nor baby expense. I also noticed BMW racing and skiing among your profile interests, neither of which seem like budget hobbies. My other hobbies are relatively cheap and I drive a Nissan, so that way I can prioritize my diving. Sell the BMW and ski gear, give the kids up for adoption, and join us :D

"Babysitter" is a big clue. No kids means no babysitter worries nor baby expense. I also noticed BMW racing and skiing among your profile interests, neither of which seem like budget hobbies. My other hobbies are relatively cheap and I drive a Nissan, so that way I can prioritize my diving. Sell the BMW and ski gear, give the kids up for adoption, and join us :D

No doubt. Gave up the racing due to $$$$, three kids annual ski expenditures = $$$, college savings, food, etc. adds up. :D

Putting the kids up for adoption as we speak.... Craigslist?

</threadjack off>

It's a big ocean!

But number three starts this afternoon. See you tonight Dave at checkin!

Will Rogers

Since 1999, we've averaged 2 per year to the Yucatan area but didn't make it in 2005 when my wife was pregnant and last year, 2010, to move to Colorado but we did manage back-to-back trips to Disney World. Yeah, the Mouse got a hold of us big time! In 2009 we only managed 1 trip to Coz thanks to H2ODoc for dragging me go to Bonaire! Thanks Doug!

Long story short, in the past, I'd definately check the 2x per year box but I see a trend of that tapering to 1x. We're fortunate enough to have enough vacation time to get in 2 dive trips per year with 1 week spent visiting family and another week used for those "I just don't feel like it" days. However, we're already looking to book the Belize Sun Dancer II next June during family week and a return to Bonaire will probably follow vsoon after.

We only have one child but she always goes with us which adds to the per-tank cost but I'm just not ready to part with the expensive hobbies and big house yet since they make other 50 weeks of the year that I'm not diving worth living :D

No doubt. Gave up the racing due to $$$$, three kids annual ski expenditures = $$$, college savings, food, etc. adds up. :D

Putting the kids up for adoption as we speak.... Craigslist?
I might take one off your hands if he's old enough to mow the lawn and can exist off generic breakfast cereal. Will you take scuba gear in trade? I've got a Draeger rebreather with only 5 dives on it.

Don't worry, stick it out. I'm sure that as soon as your kids are old enough to appreciate all you've done for them over the years, that they'll be spending their money to send their parents on all sorts of exotic dive trips. Or at least keep telling yourself that :wink:

Looking back... I've averaged about once every 3 years, but sometimes I've been twice in one year and this February will be my third trip in 18 months (Only wish I could keep THAT streak up!!). Always known that I wanted to end up in this part of the world, but there was so much to see, dive and show the kids. But they're almost in college now and I've done most of the diving that I wanted to do with a few exceptions. The whole family will be down on the mainland again in February, and my son and I will be heading over to Coz for a day or two of diving. Can't WAIT!:)

I'm usually in Cozumel 4 to 6 times year but to be honest I'm probably crazy.

Have been averaging 3-4, week long trips per year. The last 2 years however 1 of those trips has turned into 2 week stays.
Haven't dove with you guys Dave, but all I hear is good things. Will be down for 1 week in December. Plan on looking you guys up.

Back
Top Bottom