Just found out about an official "No Solo Diver" law at my local divesite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onbelaydave

Reaction score
I've been trying to get back to my local mudpit (Carter Lk, CO) ,uups, make that divesite, after a 2 yr absence for the last month, and when I finally made it up there 2 weeks ago, guess what !!! There's now an official "no solo diver " policy (Larimer County Parks statute $50 fine) as well as an official "divesite"! I'd been diving solo there ,for years, wherever I'd wanted, as long as I was towing my flag. The new "scuba only" divesite had a 1/2 dozen fisher-people with lines in the water, a couple of jetskies, and a ranger checking certs. Did he bother telling any of the fishers or jetboaters they were in "SCUBA ONLY" waters? NOOO! All he had to say to me was that it was against the law to dive Carter Lk solo, I had to find a buddy ! And don't even get me started about the "Scuba Only" site. Worst place on the Lake they could have chosen !! One dive in the official site and you'll never want to come back again ! "Rant Mode Off" (for now!!!!)

None of the "parks" around here ever allowed solo diving. Now some permit it if you have a solo cert. One even has pony bottles for rent...oh and I think you arew required to have one.

Scary stuff when a goverment starts telling you how you can and can't dive.

Its all fine and dandy until they nail something you feel is okay. I will fight rules like this on our public waters till my last breath if it comes to that.

Maybe someone here in SoCal can tell me if I am recalling things incorrectly, but I could sware I read a couple of years ago that a guy was cited in Laguna Beach for solo diving of their stretch of coast. I hadn't really thought about it until this thread jogged my memory, and it maybe flawed in that recollection - but for some reason it occurs to me that the article stated that Laguna has an ordinance against it.

So are there any locals who can confirm that - or point out that age is affecting my memory. :wink:

This all stems from "Safety before freedom mentality" 20 years ago we had high dives and such at local lakes, if you fell and got hurt it was your own fault for falling off dummy. But these days if you fall and hurt yourself its not your fault its the person who built the things fault because if he wouldnt have built it you woudlnt have fallen off :S We lose alot of freedoms because people or their familys wont accept responsibilty for their actions. Sad but true.

Personal responsibility goes hand in hand with personal freedom.

I forget who said it but I remember the quote:

"Those who would trade their liberty for saftey deserve neither liberty nor safety."

DA Aquamaster:
Personal responsibility goes hand in hand with personal freedom.

I forget who said it but I remember the quote:

"Those who would trade their liberty for saftey deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Ben Franklin

Here Here
We all accept the dangers of diving and I am personally sick of the "It's not my fault" attitude.
My husband works with Juvenile delinquents(sorry I can't spell) and I hear them say, "it's not my fault that I committed the same crime for the 6th time, it is the law, or my parents or the school, or the whatever" I maybe understand a child getting in trouble once but after that forget it, they know it is wrong. It is no different with these people who do something that is illegeal and then sue because they got hurt doing it and knowing full well that there was a 99% chance that they would get hurt!!
I am wanting for someone to sue GOD.
People have lost their minds.
I burned myself with hot coffee or a hot pickle but if you give me my food cold I complain.
We are in a no win world and it makes the majority of us who do the right thing suffer.

I just wonder when personal responsiblity went out of fashion and when is it coming back?

Back
Top Bottom