just getting started 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RRDAVE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
well one week to starting ow classes, I've read the book once and am looking forward to getting started. we have been looking at equip. choices but because I'm buying every thing in two's my walet is getting hurt!!!! ( we have personal gear ) I think BCD should be first. Would Ya'll agree? I have a little problem with my right sholder and may have a little trouble getting my Regulator when dropped, if using a normal Regulator set up. want to know what everybody thinks of the H.U.D. system BCD's from "mares" and "dacor". my instructor only sells "scuba pro" and "Seaquest" and he thinks its just a gimic. what do ya'll think? RRdave......

H O W D Y ! ! ! from Dallas, Texas, RRdave! And welcome to the best place you can spend your extended surface intervals and still find out some great stuff about SCUBA diving. We hope your participation will be long and enjoyable. We love answering questions and also reading about your experiences...so we hope you will post both often!

As far as buying gear goes, most divers wind up purchasing both the BC and their Regs at the same time. While I understand the massive hit to your finances this would represent (especially doing things in 2's), you will find an added sense of comfort knowing you have the all right gear you need to head to the local quarry or blue water and dive.

You will also find that this is a great place to find out information on gear of all types...especially BC's and Regs. Please check out the appropriate forums and use the search feature to educate yourself more on what to look for and what to expect.

The H.U.B. is an interesting approach to having what is called an "integrated" setup. But while it looks neet in theory (and at the LDS), there are things you need to consider:
  1. The system is very pricy, and for the same money, you have lots of other choices that might fit both your needs and future diving profiles.
  2. You are stuck buying ONLY that BC and Reg setup. Depending on your where you see yourself taking your diving (purely recreational or some mix if technical and recreational) there are other regs and BC's that will better fit your needs for now and the future
  3. What happens if one part of the H.U.B. system goes down and requires service (read, is out of action for 2-3 weeks)? Does this mean you can't use the remaining parts of the system with something else?

Again, there are lots of choices, and one thing we do stress here to new divers is don't feel rushed into buying gear. Due to the expense involved (and the fact that much of it is LIFE SUPPORT equipment), you want to make sure you do your homework before purchasing. This way you won't be sitting on the dive boat thinking, "Why in the heck did I buy this piece of iguana guano?!?"

So head over to the Regulators and BC forums and ask your questions. We'll be happy to provide you more info than you could ever use.

--TexasMike

PS. Be sure to fill out your user profile so we know where you are, what you do, and how to find ya!

RRDave,

You will be able to get your Reg if you drop it. There are 2 ways to do it, and I have a shoulder problem and have found that only one way works for me to get my guages. They will teach you to tile to the side underwater then swing your arm back to get the guages/reg. That works well even if you have limited mobility.

As for getting the BCD first I agree. It is the first thing I got and I am glad I did, I got the chance to become proficient using it instead of wasting time on rental gear I wasn't going to buy.

Now on to the pricey stuff. My theory was I am a new diver and not going to be diving in the caribbean or good places all that often, mostly local lakes so I went kind of middle of the road. Although my 1st/2nd stage were considered high end when they came out a year before I bought them. Since you are buying two consider getting more affordable stuff then as you decide to get more and more involved in diving you can always upgrade a few pieces at a time.

If you were thrifty I would imaging you could probably get all your gear for around 1700-2000 for the 2 of you and still have decent equipment that will last you for years!

Good luck!

BTW: Welcome aboard and good luck on your classes you are going to love it!

RRDave....first a cheesey grinned welcome to the board! :D

I don't think your problem-shoulder should cause you so much trouble that you need to think about hitting your wallet any harder....I am sure if you tell your instructor they will think of an alternative way for you to retrieve you regulator....I have had problems where i couldnt breathe off a freeflow cause the force of the air was too strong so my instructor showed me another way where i could control it more.....i am sure your instructor will be just as helpful.

Keep us posted on your OW and good luck - remember diving isn't about having fun ! :wink:

Originally posted by ScubaBaby
Keep us posted on your OW and good luck - remember diving isn't about having fun ! :wink:

You kill me Scubababy...

I agree, diving is meant strictly to learn about the underwater environment and the technical aspects of diving. No fun should ever be gotten by divers or people who talk about diving like those of us on this board...

Signed,

Clinically Neutral Happiness
Syruss

RRdave,

Welcome aBoard the Board! First and foremost: enjoy the experience of diving! In the beginning it will seem like there is info coming in from all directions and equipment variations too overwhelming to master. Then, with time, you will be able to give others advice!

I am always suspicious of "systems" like the Mares HUB: most of the time it is a case of the marketing guys being way ahead of the engineering guys! However, you have a great opportunity to look at everything and decide for yourself. Try everything on, ask questions (But be prepared for lots of BS!), look at what other divers are using, and evaluate the gear you rent. As Yogi Berra once said, "You can see a lot by just observing."

There are a lot of approaches as to what order one should use to buy equipment. My vote is for:

(1) Mask--keep the case and keep it in its case when you transport it.
(2) BC/Reg--as a system. You will have to make a choice in regard to whether you want a wt integrated system and whether you want a regular octo or an Airsource-type. And you can get all sorts of help here as Mike indicated.
(3) Wetsuit
(4) Fins
(5) All sorts of other stuff that will make you wonder if a second or third job would help keep you solvent!

But, the most important piece of advice is still ENJOY!

Joewr

I'll just add my welcome to you also. It's a great sport.

From some personal experience-I would have made some very expensive mistakes if I had bought what I first thought was the "right stuff" early on. Save yourself some money and try out different equipment before you buy. If you work with your local dive shop, they may even apply some rental money towards a purchase.

As for the H.U.B.-looks cool, but IMHO is not very practical-TexasMike has said it pretty well. My big problems with it are 1. No choices 2. Serviceability (and non standard parts) and 3. Octo is in a pocket-safety issue

Enjoy diving, read lots, and talk to a lot of people. You will eventually be very well informed and confident about your purchases.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom