Just Getting Started

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobbear

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I started my DM course last night. I opted for this particular Dive Center because their DM course is a 3-month internship. I am in no rush, and want to get the best possible education.

I have already gone through the DM crew pack and am pretty confident that i can pass the finals (passed two last night).

Do any of you have any tips or suggestions to make my experience that much better?

Thanks,

Bob

Do any of you have any tips or suggestions to make my experience that much better?

You'll get out of this what you put into it. Give it your best, focus and apply yourself and you will be richly rewarded. Take your time.

Most of all: Have fun!

Just to take your time and don't rush through. And don't cut corners. :D Actually take the time to learn the material as opposed to just getting through the tests. But enjoy it and have fun. It's a fun course.

Assist as many different instructors/DMs as possible. Find out what techniques you like, what you don't like, and what you need to do to deal with the techniques you don't like since there's a good chance you may have to be assisting an instructor that you don't get along with 100%.

Oh yeah, give lots of dive briefings.

Thanks. I've actually been studying the material for several months and know it pretty well. The way i look at it is that anybody can read books and learn the material. I want to be able to take what I've learned and put it to good use. Hence me opting for a 3-month internship. During that time I hope to gain practical experience in many, if not all, aspects of the dive business.

All great advice given, not much I can add to it - but just to reiterate, don't rush. Learn all you can and might I also suggest becoming an AI instead of just rushing to Instructor if Instructor is you ultimate goal.

Have fun!!

There are three other DMC's at my center, at varying stages. Being the "noob", I have been receiving a lot of good natured hazing. It is all great fun and a wonderful learning experience. I just can't wait for a new candidate or one of the others to finish up. Maybe then I can moved up a rung:)

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom