Just getting started!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jakedahsnake

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Lots of options for SCUBA compressors. Trying to outfit newly purchased 50 foot catch. Any personal recommendations on going portable or fixed, size, and make? Need something to fill for 2 divers regularly and possibly 4 - 5 on occasion.

I would say that the small Coltri MCH6 or Bauer JR should do you just fine. the determining factor as to what you are going to drive it with will depend on the power of your gen set. If you have at least 7KW, then the electric version is a perfect choice. A big advantage to electric is that you can install automatic drains as well and not have to fool around with doing it manually. If you don't have enough electrical power, then you are limited to gas or diesel.

Whichever compressor you decide to go with, I suggest going with the stainless steel option to minimize corrosion.

Hope that helps!

Jake,

I have sold over 60 compressors in the past two years. These are new and rebuilt military surplus compressors with everything else new on the units. Electric or gas driven 2.4 cfm , 4.2 cfm and 6.0 cfm at up to 5000PSI grade E or better air.
Look at my web site sheldensportinggoods.com for pictures and prices
Jim Shelden
316-992-0505

We have a Bauer Jr, that we took all around the South Pacific. It was converted from the original gas engine to a small Yanmar diesel.

The unit is somewhat loud, but does an excellent job. 2-3 dives a day for about a year for us. Sometimes we filled friends tanks, sometimes just our own...

Occasionally the compressor actually left the boat, was used on shore, or on another boat, as we buddied with other people and would take one of the bigger boats to a further away dive site.

In my business I have recommended and helped install a number of Bauer Jrs on various boats, and some Coltri compressors. All have worked well.

I would recommend that you get a filter system that is re-packable as it makes for a lot less wasted space on the boat, the re-packable filter cartridges end up cheaper, and it is a lot easier to carry sealed up components then a lot of disposable full sized plastic cartridge ones.

Guy
:)

Back
Top Bottom