Just got back from Dominican Republic (Bayahibe)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Choyster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a week in the Dominican Republic and am happy to report that the diving was FANTASTIC. I was a bit worried after reading all of the negative reviews of diving in the DR but I think most of those people weren't diving in Bayahibe. From what I understand, most of the resorts in the DR are on the northern part of the island and the diving isn't as good there. Viz on most of the dives was well over 80 feet. I had a great experience diving with Scuba Fun in Bayahibe (3 days of 2 tank dives) and would definitely dive with them again in the future.

PM me if you have specific questions about diving in Bayahibe.

I just got back from a week in the Dominican Republic and am happy to report that the diving was FANTASTIC. I was a bit worried after reading all of the negative reviews of diving in the DR but I think most of those people weren't diving in Bayahibe. From what I understand, most of the resorts in the DR are on the northern part of the island and the diving isn't as good there. Viz on most of the dives was well over 80 feet. I had a great experience diving with Scuba Fun in Bayahibe (3 days of 2 tank dives) and would definitely dive with them again in the future.

PM me if you have specific questions about diving in Bayahibe.

Where did you stay, and how were the above water surface aspects of the trip?

Thanks,

Erwin aka edpdiver

I would love more information on your diving experience in DR..... What is the underwater environment like? Corals, sponges, big stuff, little stuff, visibility, water temp, etc. Is there a reef?

Pictures are probably the easiest way to answer these questions. Here's a link to web album of some of the photos I took in Bayahibe.

Picasa Web Albums - Andy - Dominican Rep...

I looked at the album (nice pics, by the way), but could not figure out where you stayed. Could you post a message with information on where you stayed, and what you thought of it? Thanks much - Erwin aka edpdiver

I agree, Bayahibe has some really nice diving. I saw lots of stingrays, lobsters and a few very nice cowries...

I enjoyed diving Bayahibe far more then the "north" (Punta Cana) cost :)

// Magnus;

I stayed at Casa De Campo in La Romana which is about 20-30 minutes away. It's an incredibly nice resort but caters mainly to golfers. I planned my dives with Scuba Fun on my own. PM me if you want more info.

I really enjoy diving off the Southern coast. We just returned last week from our annual trip to the Iberostar in Bayahibe to dive with Dressel Divers. Although they can be a bit pricey compared to other dive operators in the area, they are a first class operation. We had several great dives (many eels, octpus, and sea turtles).

How far is Bayahibe from Punta Cana? I might be in Punta Cana in August and there are no dive shops that pick up at the hotel. The one scuba shop I was considering was about 30 minutes away. If this is better, then I might be willing to travel by cab or whatever. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom