Just had to share :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was using my cam for the first time. Dee gave me tons of advice. One is using the white balance settings on your cam for underwater. If you go to oly's web site and look at the whole manual online (i downloaded it for more speed in page transfers) it tells you how to use what is called white balance. I have talked to people that just use it and the internal flash for macros. One dive cam shop in CA told me that he doesnt use a flash at all just the WB. here is a link to pics i took in a fresh water quarry in ohio last month. vis was 20 - 30 max using WB and a set to 5.6 housing mode selected.iso 100 underwater mode on spot focus on. All you need is a dive slate to set the WB at depth and adjust every few feet. I did use macro mode with the flash but i have to play with that yet. The pics came out blurry and i dont know why.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/holoway@sbcglobal.net/my_photos

I followed the right most column on the link with the settings as a guide from dee.
Good luck

Are the pics in your gallery taken with the new cam?

Aaron

The pics in my gallery were taken with a SeaLife 310, its one of my buddies camera. He doesn't dive much so I had been using it, I've actually used it WAY more than he has... just figured it was time to upgrade because I wanted photos with more depth and detail.

I've already gotten in the habit of using the manual white balance, believe it or not, even though I haven't submerged the camera yet. The cam will get under the surface this weekend.

As for your pics being blurry, what mode is your camera in? How fast is your shutter speed? Hows your bouancy control? I used Dee's link as well and followed it all except the ISO(which the link suggests setting as low as possible), which I set at 100 - like you did. I used the M mode, 1/100 shutter speed, f4.8 for the zoomed in macro shots(f4 otherwise), all on SHQ. Seemed to work pretty well, I'm sure I'll learn which setting to change for which circumstances later with experience, but for now, this seems to be a good starting point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom