Just ordered a BlackTip Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is the problem I alluded to though. Amazon bins items with the same SKU, but from different sellers, together. That means you could purchase from one seller but get stock shipped to you that was supplied by another seller. As I said, this practice might have changed. I think this is the main reason counterfeits are such a problem. With combined bins like this it is not east to even tell who the counterfeiter is.

If you register the batteries with Dewalt, will their registration process tell you if what you have is counterfeit?

If it does, then you can return them to Amazon as fakes.

If they don't tell you, and then they turn out to be crap, you file a warranty claim with Dewalt and get two brand new ones (that you know are not fake)?

And I'm excited. I mainly want it for hunting lobster in the Gulf stream current or beach diving to get further offshore in SE Florida.

I plan to buy the DeWalt 12ah batteries. Amazon has them cheaper than Home Depot, but my fear is they might be older batteries or something which makes them inferior to one they carry at HD. Anyone have advice here?

The best thing about the BlackTip is the ability to load custom firmware.

And this is the firmware you'll want:

Note that there are different branches, as the BlackTip has been made using different VESC's (Vedder Electronic Speed Controller), which require their own version of the firmware. The main page says the firmware is only for serial numbers prior to some certain number (which will rule yours out). You just have to navigate into the correct other branch to find the right firmware for later versions of the BlackTip.

The info is there to let you figure out what you need.

The single best reason to load the custom firmware is it gives you cruise control. There are other features, too, which are also nice. But, having cruise control is pretty much a necessity (for me, anyway).

The best thing about the BlackTip is the ability to load custom firmware.

And this is the firmware you'll want:

Note that there are different branches, as the BlackTip has been made using different VESC's (Vedder Electronic Speed Controller), which require their own version of the firmware. The main page says the firmware is only for serial numbers prior to some certain number (which will rule yours out). You just have to navigate into the correct other branch to find the right firmware for later versions of the BlackTip.

The info is there to let you figure out what you need.

The single best reason to load the custom firmware is it gives you cruise control. There are other features, too, which are also nice. But, having cruise control is pretty much a necessity (for me, anyway).
Interesting, thanks for the tip

What exactly is cruise control?

Its when the DPV runs at the set speed even if you take your finger off the trigger. Just like a car does when you take your foot off the gas pedal.

What Jim said.

On the BlackTip, you double-click-and-hold the trigger to start it going. Once going, you click the trigger once (let off and press again quickly) to shift down 1 gear (e.g. go from Speed 3 to Speed 2, which is slower). While going, you double-click the trigger to shift up a gear (e.g. go from Speed 3, to Speed 4).

The stock firmware only recognizes single-clicks and double-clicks.

With this custom firmware, (IIRC) you click the trigger 3 times in a row and let go and the scooter will hold its speed without you having to continue to press the trigger.

Press and hold it with Cruise on and the cruise control shuts off, but the scooter continues to run at the current speed. Click it and let go and the cruise shuts off and the scooter stops.

It's really handy. I'm cruising along and I want to do something with my right hand. A quick triple-click and I can let go. I may put a finger from my left hand on the handle just to help steer, but it will run straight and level on its own pretty well. Do whatever with my right hand, then re-take control with my right hand and continue on. Maybe squeeze the trigger to resume full manual control, or maybe just take hold of the handle but continue to let it run on cruise.

It has additional features. From memory:

4 clicks causes it to jump to maximum speed (gear 8).

5 clicks causes it to change into Reverse. Yes, in reverse, the prop spins backwards, to push you back instead of pull you forward. I have not found any use for this yet. But, it is interesting to me that Seacraft included the same feature in their new Go! scooter. I wonder if anyone, anywhere actually gets benefit from Reverse on their scooter, or it's just a Marketing gimmick to make their scooter sound like it has more/better features than other scooters.

Interesting. If the firmware is limited to certain versions, I'm going to assume the new one is not compatible, but will validate that when I receive the unit. I looked for any forked repos and none of them were active. I saw the Dive-Xtras YouTube video about tweaking firmware settings, which is pretty cool that they are so open to sharing how to do things like that.

Speaking of sharing, I joined their FB group and they are pretty open about people sharing customizations. One customization that really stood out to me was the t-handle with a different trigger so you could use your left or right hand. I reached out to the guy who makes them and he's charging $120 plus $18 shipping in the US. He was a receiving a lot of positive feedback from those who've ordered from him.

1696392307707.png
1696392365269.png

I now see he has different branches for the different hardware, so ignore my comment about compatibility. It's an odd way to organize code in a repo.

Here's how it looks mounted (and glowing).
1696393718117.png

Back
Top Bottom