Just returned from GC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

95devils

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I just returned yesterday from GC. We had been on LC until Sept 7 then stayed at Cobalt Coast until Wednesday. DiveTech suspended dive operations Friday to get ready. Water was shut off around 8 pm Saturday to prevent contamination. Electric went out around 10 pm. Cell phones remained operational until Sunday around 7 am.

Ivan hit Sunday with winds of, according to rumors, 165 mph sustained and 200 gusts. Cobalt Coast suffered minor damage. Was the best place to be. We were ordered out of the hotel and to a shelter Saturday night. Shelters were full with up to 500 people. We rode out the storm by sleeping in the bathroom. The storm wasn't as bad as the hell to follow. We had tried to get off the island as early as Wednesday with no luck. People were supposed to take a sleeping bag and food and water for three days. Three days later, no food and cooking with rain water. Bathing in the pool that was brown. The seas actually turned brown.

We went out Tuesday to survey the damage. Houses were demolished or had the roofs blown off. Seven Mile Beach by the Courtyard by Marriott (formerly Holiday Inn) had sand piled up so high that it looked like snow in the middle of wintertime. The bulldozers had piled along side the road 6-8 feet high. None of the grocery stores were open. Bodden Beverages was open for a short time until the crowds got too rough and they closed. The airport was shut down. We left for the airport again on Wednesday. Tuesday Cayman Airways started evacuating people out. We left Cobalt Coast as soon as the daily curfew ended. At 6 am Wednesday the airport which was now a maintanence hanger with part of the roof and side blown out. Cayman Airways offered free passage to Miami or Brac but they only have 7 planes. 2 plane loads of people were there at 6 am after sleeping in the hangar. There must have been 750 to 1000 people at the hangar. Many elderly, sick, kids, and pregnant women. No food, limited water and no bathroom facilities while waiting in line. We made it out on the 4th plane that day to Miami. People around us now have nothing. People walked 7-8 miles to the airport. Two kids on the plane to Charlotte NC had lost everything and the parents had sent them to Indiana while the parents remained to rebuild. Another lady who lives on the island for the last 20 years left with her 3 kids and had no clue were she was going. Bless this lady. Cable and wireless came back up and she tried calling our parents from the hangar. When the plane landed in Miami she called our parents before the plane even stopped. These are wonderful and caring people who desperately need our help. Rumor speculates the the government doesn't want people to know how bad the devastation is since it will affect their tourism. Please help these people. I will answer any questions to the best of my knowlege. Pics are available that I took before, during, and after the hurricane.

Glad to have you back. Sounds like you were lucky to get out when you did.

95devils:
My wife and I just returned yesterday from GC. We had been on LC until Sept 7 then stayed at Cobalt Coast until Wednesday. DiveTech suspended dive operations Friday to get ready. Water was shut off around 8 pm Saturday to prevent contamination. Electric went out around 10 pm. Cell phones remained operational until Sunday around 7 am.
Were you and your wife the couple I went scootering with? Nat was our divetech guide.

My daughter just came home from GC too. All non essential personnel are being evacuated. She worked for a dive outfitters which was hit hard. The island was cut in two when the northsound overflowed to south bay. She waited 12 hours at the airport to get out on flight # 4.

I have see photos that she took.... its very bad there... it'll be 6 months before things get back to normal.

Humba:
Were you and your wife the couple I went scootering with? Nat was our divetech guide.

Sorry, wasn't us. We did two boat dives Wednesday morning and two morning boat on Thursday. I assume you went scootering with Nat from the shore. Was this the scootering from Cobalt Coast down to the shop at the Cracked Conch? That sounded like so much fun. Nat did take us to the airport Wednesday in Arie's Land Rover. Thanks Nat.

95devils:
Sorry, wasn't us. We did two boat dives Wednesday morning and two morning boat on Thursday. I assume you went scootering with Nat from the shore. Was this the scootering from Cobalt Coast down to the shop at the Cracked Conch? That sounded like so much fun. Nat did take us to the airport Wednesday in Arie's Land Rover. Thanks Nat.
I was on the thursday am boat. I was using the halcyon gear. Did we buddy up on the second thursday am dive. Tall single guy.

Humba:
I was on the thursday am boat. I was using the halcyon gear. Did we buddy up on the second thursday am dive. Tall single guy.

If you were the guy that made diving look easy, we were buddied. Glad to talk to you again. Got me pretty much convinced to go with Halcyon, you and Seb. Checking for gear now. Was that an Eclipse or a Pioneer? Glad you're out.

jerry

95devils:
If you were the guy that made diving look easy, we were buddied. Glad to talk to you again. Got me pretty much convinced to go with Halcyon, you and Seb. Checking for gear now. Was that an Eclipse or a Pioneer? Glad you're out.

jerry
It's me. You seem to make it easy yourself. The model you want is the eclipse. Verify that it has the new ss inflator. Glad you made it out. How does cobalt look? I've got pictures of the marriott where I stayed and it's bad.

Back
Top Bottom