just returned from the bahamas(long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BFM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i got back from the bahamas and had a great time. we stayed at atlantis, and i did two morning, 2 tank dives with stewart cove dives. when i got on the courtesy shuttle it was packed and i felt a little foolish with all my gear, i had a boat bag with all my gear but my tank, everyone else just had a small bag with them. the ride over from atlantis took about 40 minutes. we checked in and were assigned to our boat, turns out all but one of the people on the shuttle were snorkelers. we took off about 30 minutes after check in(the snorklers were on a different boat). i have heard that cove was a cattle car type dive outfit, but on this day we had 8 divers and this included an instructor and student. we wnet out to the Davud Tucker wreck, we got instruction from the dive master. i had informed him earlier that this was my first blue water dive and that i had only 12 dives prior to this. he had me stay with him on the first dive and gave us a guided tour of a wall right off the wreck. this was amazing, the plant and animal life was great. our second dive was at the bond wrecks, the DM said he had watched us and felt we were competent to dive on our own in buddy teams, but if we wanted he would stay with us. these wrecks were an old jet and a ship, from "Die Another Day" and "Thunderball". there was an abundance of fish and i saw a blueheaded parrot fish and what i now belive was a lionfish. again the marine life was amazing.
the second day we went to the playground, aptly named for all the fish playing around there. we did a wall dive here to, again amazing. we then went to the Willaurie wreck and this was awesome. lots of life around, saw a yellowfin tuna i belive.( i am not up on my tropical fish species, but hopefully santa will remedy that). also on this day we had 10 divers.
on review i would say that every aspect of these dives far exceeded my expectations. the DM and the crew were helpful on both days, they helped us put and take gear off, watched over us, and in general made sure we had a good time. the boats were clean and my tanks had a shade over 3200 psi in each. this was my first bluewater dive and i can say that i am hooked. it was great. i cant wait to go back and do some of the other sites they have, also to explore other places around the world. many thanks to those who responded to an earlier post on dive operators in the bahamas. and thanks to Stewart Cove Dives for making this a memorable first trip.

I had the same sort of experience with Stuart Cove's - very well-run, very professional. I really liked swimming through the Bond tug. I can't remember - Was the David Tucker wreck a small fishing boat that was broken right over the edge of the wall. If it is the one I am thinking about it was a great deep dive.
How was Atlantis? Expensive? Were you with kids? Wife a non-diver? Let me know cause I think the wife would go for Atlantis this spring.

Learned something new today!

Tim, Atlantis was a nice piece of architecture. It was pricey on the food, will cost you about 80 to a hundred a day, apiece if you eat 3 squares a day. 20-25 on breakfast, about the same on lunch, and about 30 and up on dinner, there is also a 15% gratuity added on to all services, and i cant say that it helped service that much, another story for another time though. we had a meal allowance with our package so the cost was built in. you can get by a little cheaper with planning. if you want some more particulars let me know and i will try and help. my wife is a non diver and the kids are on thier own.
The David Tucker was intact and sitting back about 30 yards or so from the wall.
on the Lionfish, as i said i am not to knowledgable on my tropical fish, but on looking at your google search, it was not a Lionfish, sorry about that. but maybe you can help, the fish was 10 to 12 in. long, had alternating white and brownish orange stripes and large black eyes, tapered kind of thin to the tail. any ideas or guesses?

the fish was 10 to 12 in. long, had alternating white and brownish orange stripes and large black eyes, tapered kind of thin to the tail. any ideas or guesses?

My First Guess (and most likely) is a Porkfish Anisotremus Virginicus

Glad you Enjoyed it!

BFM - Thanks for the info. but I talked her into Presidente Intercontinental in Cozumel as opposed to Atlantis in the Bahamas. Whew!

that was not it Scubasky, but thanks for the try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom