Kama'aina diving deals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonDawg:
Seriously though, the reason you get charged extra is because it DOES really cost extra to ship stuff to you. It's either by boat (slow) or by air (expensive). When things are shipped by ground in the continental US, shippers are taking advantage of the vast trucking and railroad networks; nobody has to make a "special trip" just for you, which is pretty much what they're doing when they ship stuff to Hawaii or Alaska or any of our territories that haven't become states yet.

I understand that something coming via UPS, DHL or FedEx is more expensive. However, when I receive something in the mail via the U.S. Postal Service with a post mark indicating they paid $5.80 in postage and I paid that company an extra $10 for "handling" on top of the regular postage charge - that's where I have a problem. To whom and for what is the extra $10?

I don't really see a need to discuss the finer points of shipping and handling on a Scuba Board. Let's get back on topic here, thanks.

I was speaking with a dive buddy and they said that a lot of times you can go down to the Kihei boat ramp on Maui early in the morning and jump onto one of the dive boats their. It can be quite difficult for some tourists to wake up in time to go diving, so it is very likely that a place or two will be open on any given boat, and since the tourist already paid, you can generally negotiate a very low price, sometimes free. Being as you provide the tourists with a bit of local entertainment, like the word Mahalo means "trash" and that's why it's written on the trash cans at McDonald's.

Has anyone ever tried to jump on a dive boat that they were not scheduled to go on?

Aloha,
James

osujamesc:
Has anyone ever tried to jump on a dive boat that they were not scheduled to go on?

Aloha,
James
Many times James. I have found it a great way to get a deal. If there isn't a spot available I'll just go do a little shore dive. :)

Back
Top Bottom