Kauai bizarre fish gets eaten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freakyfish

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was in Kauai (north coast) last week and saw the most unusual fish.
Unfortunately no photo of this one. I have been snorkeling in about 50 countries and never saw this one before.
I would appreciate any help in trying to identify what it was...

It's mostly bright green colors and was swimming very close to shore and at first I thought it was a piece of floating seaweed due to it's swimming method (which seemed to mimic seaweed floating), and from the smooth green spikes which came out of it's body. It had 2 long thick antennae like spikes on it's head and maybe 10 or so off it's back- all of which were at least as long as it's body length. It's body and face were similar size and shape to a medium sized clown fish (thin/flat and oval, maybe 2" x 4"). It was all green color (striped like a clown fish), only exception was around it's eyes which did it have red lines (emanating out like rays of the sun).
My wife & I watched this fish for some time in shallow water and up close. At one point I looked away for just a second and wife said, "...look, it's eating a dead fish!". What appeared to be at first a rotten dead fish floating was a camouflaged stone fish and this unusual green sea monster was getting eaten before our eyes.

Thanks for your assistence.
eric & diana

PS: It was not a "Dragon Fish".

My first guess was going to be a dragon wrasse (juvenile rockmover). But that's probably what you mean when you say it's not a "dragon fish". There are some likely razorfish as well, such as a juvenile peacock razorfish (these are related to the dragon wrasse).

Finally, it could be a juvenile lionfish of some sort. My ID books don't have juvenile pictures, but I seem to recall that the juvies have longer spines and brighter colors than the adults.

-Mark

Hello Mark,

Awesome, you got it! I just did a google image search for "rockmover" and from the photo I found, that's it. I said it wasn't a "Dragon Fish" because I found an image of those that was completely different (body was strange shape, not oval).
Thanks so much for your help!
-eric & diana

Here he is (Juvenile Rockmover Wrasse):
http://nisbet.net/images/underwater05.jpg

In Fiji we found several of them that were only a half-inch long, moving with the surge in a shallow area. Makes them difficult to photograph. Here's the best shot I could get, and what they grow up to look like.

Rockmover_Wrasse_juv.sized.jpg

Rockmover_Wrasse.sized.jpg

-Mark

Freaky and Marac,
I still can't figure out to add pictures in the thread or have a thumbnail. I've tried it plenty of times in the advanced setting but it doesn't want to work!! Pleast share you wisdom!! The best I have figured out is to post a link!!

Yeah, I was going to say juv. rockmover too...good call!

Good shot maractwin..them buggahs so fast!

Chad_Ordelheide:
Freaky and Marac,
I still can't figure out to add pictures in the thread or have a thumbnail. I've tried it plenty of times in the advanced setting but it doesn't want to work!! Pleast share you wisdom!! The best I have figured out is to post a link!!

Not Freaky or Marac, but I can help you with the attachments!

If you look below the "Reply to Thread" field there is an "Additional Options" field within that field there is a "manage attachments" button. If you click that a small, new window will pop up where you can browse your computer for the picture you would like to post. Once selected click upload and then after a bit you will see a small icon appear on the bottom part of that window showing you the picture is attached. Then close the window.

If you want to add a picture that alread is available on the net you have to right click that picture and then click on it's properties. The properties screen will appear where you will see a link. Copy and past that entire link. Back to the post page you will see a little yellow icon that looks like mountains with a sun/moon. Click that and a pop-up will appear. Incert your link into the available line and click ok - the link will then appear in your post with this on the one [img ] and this [/img ]on the other side. When you submit your post the picture will be there.

Hope this helps!

Aloha,
Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom