Kauai Dive suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KauaiDiver1

Reaction score
Most of the information on Kauai can be found with previous posts. My intent is to offer a completely "POSITIVE" post that helps those looking. That being said I wanted to offer some suggestions for those looking for different companies and DM's. As a long time Kauai resident and dive professional I believe that we have many great companies here on the island. From company to company you can count on a high level of not only professional, but caring performance.

Kauai is at times a little more challenging than the other islands in terms of Divemastering re: ocean conditions. We do dive primarily on the south shore of Kauai (not "only"- but "primarily"). This means we are not in the lee (leeward / wind shielded conditions). If the wind is blowing - we are in it. We are also impacted by rain and runoff more than the other islands as we do experience more rain than the other islands. Experienced DM's here can however often maximize your experience by their individual or combined knowledge of the reefs off shore for boats. The island like any location has many new and old alike DM's. More experienced divers looking for the best the island has to offer - should always feel comortable asking the experience level of the crew/assigned DM or instructor. Understand that this in no way discredits our newer DM's/instructors on island! The training and enthusiasm of these individuals is often unmatched and they are VERY qualified.

Back to some suggestions based on personal experience dating back to over 15 years ago when I first dove the island... (I only list those companies and individuals that I have numerous in and out of the water experiences with).

The primary boat companies are (in no particular order)...

Sea Sports Divers (Poipu)
Fathom Five (Koloa)
Bubbles Below (Port Allen)
Mana Divers (Port Allen) - Now under new ownership and name I believe

Sea Sports has two of the most experienced and incredible boat captains on island! Andrew and Zach are GREAT captains! Probably the most stable and comfortable boat for Niihau trips with plenty of cover for EVERYONE. If you have been on one of these trips to Niihau you know why this is important. Their primary DM for Niihau is Ryan iad he is a sure thing for a GREAT NIIHAU experience. He has a great deal of experience on Kauai and Niihau both, and when people ask about Seasports I always suggest diving with him! Jake is also a wonderful DM that I have a lot of respect for. Andrew also dm's when he can get away from the helm and you'll be as lucky and you are stoked if you get in the water with him. Turtle Bluffs and Zach's Pocket are two of the best dives for inter/adv divers. Sheraton Caverns is a must dive for any diver. Roxanne (n I have heard) has returned for those of you former Sea Sports family. If she is back on the boats she is amazing too! A great DM and one of the first DM's I dove Niihau years ago with. Another sure to please DM you'd be lucky to have. On long range trips you are sure to catch a fish or two with Andrew! He loves the ocean and loves to fish! Ahi, Ono, Mahi BE WARE!!

Fathom Five has had lots of change in the past two years so much of their staff is young and newer to Kauai. If you are familiar with the gang... many of the long timers (Mark, Kevin, Paul, Anthony, and Loni) have moved on to other opportunities. The senior Captains are still around but not every day as they were so lucky to have for so many years. Len, Ken and Charlie are still working part time and you might get lucky and catch them for decades of Kauai knowledge above and below. Debbie is the energizer bunny of the bunch and though diving mostly on weekends "get her if you can." Experienced divers in particular will love her energy in and out of the water and she likes going off the beaten path. Throw a quarter into the water from the boat with Ken at any moment and Ken will tell you about a dive experience he had at that spot. A lil' quiet but if you ask him for a dive story he'll crack a smile and tell ya a great sea story or two. If you are booking multiple day trips be sure to update them on where you have been. With newer divemasters you don't want to be on the same sights day after day. I heard really good things about the newer DM's here and they should be set up with an experienced staff soon if the current staff stays together. Rob does a great job and is a returning DM from years back if you are a returning Fathom family member.

Bubbles Below is really great with variety. Linda (owner) is a wealth of knowledge about the ocean and its critters. Ok, that isn't fair. Linda is actually a library of knowledge! You might have to cut her off once she gets started. She isn't in the water everyday like before so request her if you can. She has as many hours in the water on Kauai as anyone you will find. I also have a great deal of respect for Joe (Capt/DM) at Bubbles. As a divemaster myself - he is one I like to be around to feed off his soft spoken energy and passion for the ocean. You just cant have a bad time with Joe. If you are experienced make sure you get one of these 2 guides. You will see why. Bubbles still offers the only trips to Mana Crack that I am aware of as well. Mana is advanced and not nearly as exciting as Niihau (but what is?) Mana is fun diving with a good chance at the Grey reef sharks and occasional rays. The topography is wild and rare critters can often be seen. Earl is a great Capt with Bubbles and has great travel stories from around the world. Earl can also tell some great spearfishing stories from his many years in the islands.

Mana Divers was owned by Ken Lewis in the days of old. The new owners I have not just yet had the chance to get out with - but they dive many of the same exciting dives as Bubbles in terms of the south shore. I dont think they go west to Mana or will offer Niihau but they dive Hale o' honu (house of turtles) quite often just a BB. Hale is one of the best sites on the island when the water is clear. Amber's Arches and Shauna's shelves are must dives with the new company!

My favorites dive sites for Kauai boat diving...

1.Turtle Bluffs
2.Ambers Arches
3.Zach's Pocket
4.Sheraton Caverns
5.Hale o' Honu

Shore diving will be another message but Aquatic Adventures has many great reviews on the board so you can see yourself. Could luck finding a more helpful shop. They are newer to Kauai (4 years I believe) and everyone seems to love the experience with them. Kauai Down Under(Sheraton) , Sacred Seas, Wet and Wonderful, North shore divers... the list goes on on. It is a tight communtity among the divemasters diving Koloa Landing year round and Tunnels in the summer. You'll find 99% of the DM's not only socialize and hang out together on sight - but also help other DM's with other companies at a moments notice. The owners of the companies are another story :) but you'll find a very unique and memorable experience diving with any of these shore companies. Again, it helps to have an exerienced DM that knows the sites but Koloa in particular is flat out loaded with critters!

If you have any specific questions about companies, divemasters, sites, critters, etc... just fire away a personal message. I will always help if I can.

I know I forgot some names but the underlying message is simple..."Do a little research and you are bound to find one of the great companies/crews that will make things very memorable for you!

Best of luck and I hope this helps ya!

I'd sort of given up and replying to the "Recomendation Wanted" posts as there seemed to be a lot diverse posts and not all in sync with my experience from a wonderful summer DMing for Sacred Seas [granted - That's getting a bit aged now]. I particularly enjoyed the relatively tight community of professionals, both helping if needed and hanging out otherwise.

Thanks.....

Back
Top Bottom