Kayak Diving Ft. Pierce/Vero Beach Area 6/19/10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Faris427

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all,
I have never been kayak diving, and I would love to give it a try. I am a vet school student, and don't have nearly the free time that I would like to get out diving...but I go whenever I have the time and money to do so. I read a lot about it on various websites, and was hoping that I might be able to go this Saturday (weather permitting). I live in Gainesville, so I have to plan this out before I down. I have called Divesix dive shop in vero beach and a couple other kayak rental shops there and know I can get a kayak for about $45 for the day. Adventure Diving recommended that I call Dive Oddysea diving in Ft. Pierce (a touch south from vero, and also said to have good dive sites). I have called them and they took my name and number to have someone return my call, there website says they rent kayaks for $40 a day.

So, is there anyone in that area that would like to go, and knows where and how to safely do this? I did watch a lot of video on a couple websites showing the whole process. I have been kayaking on rivers and lakes, but never in the ocean. But I have no doubts that with a little work, I could figure out what to do. I own my own dive gear and have been diving off the beach and charters before, just never off a kayak. It looks like something I would love to get into once I get more free time. Obviously, if you have a second kayak that I could use (of the right size and sit on top type), I would be willing to pay you to use it, or not if you don't want my money :D.

Anywho, hope there is someone out there that is willing to go! I know there is more diving locations the further south you go (for example in Ft. Lauderdale), but I would rather drive the less distance, I would have to drive back up north at the end of the day :depressed:

Any other info is more than welcome.

Thanks!

-Jeremy

I'd yak dive with you but unfortunately Ill be diving elsewhere this weekend. The trick I think to yak diving is a stable platform- I have a ScupperPro which is fast as junk, but a little tippy. Also, Ive discovered the smaller 63 cf tanks have plenty of air in 15FSW and are a little lighter. Whenever the water is clear Ft. Pierce-Vero has spectacular dives.

I'm sure you've found the Treasure Coast Shore Diving Guide put together by Deep Six by now, but if you haven't here it is...

Steve

Thanks for the reply, I did see that beach dive guide linked within another post, thanks tho. I spoke with an instructor at Oddysea dive shop, he was willing to go with me, but our schedules couldn't link up at this time. I am still up for going if anyone can also go on Saturday the 19th.

-Jeremy

Faris-- sorry I missed you I was at ITK in the Keys. Hit me up when you are able to yak dive this area again. Watch for meet ups here this summer.

Eric,

I found a dive instructor named Andrew from Odysea dive shop in Ft. Pierce who is going to go with me on 7/15 and 7/16...beach diving on the 15th and kayak on the 16th, if the weather is good. My wife is coming on the trip, not sure if she is going to dive with us or not, but if she does then I could buddy with her and you could buddy with Andrew...otherwise we just make a team of three.

Let me know,
Jeremy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom