Kayak diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bpotkin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just bought a sit on top Malibu pro explorer - fish and dive Kayak. Today I cruised
around malibu and got some good exercise. I can see the benifit of using the
kayak to avoid long surface swims. Does anybody have any experience diving from
a Kayak? Also any suggestions?:)

The boating section is probably a better place for this since there is a section there. Yes, people dive from kayaks. I have an OK Scupper Pro TW. I have used in for nearly ten years now with a few dry spells since I have other boats but the kayak is a blast, in the right place and time. To me, the right place is to augment and to reach places directly from a shore launch that cannot be reached by a surface swim but would entail a long trip in a conventional boat from a launch ramp or for which there is no other access. The right time is when the weather and seas are calm and quiet.

Tie and attach and clip and tether everything you want to keep because the boat will eventually roll over and when it does, you have to know how to reboard and right the kayak and hopefully all the stuff will still be attached afterwards.

N

Tie and attach and clip and tether everything you want to keep because the boat will eventually roll over and when it does, you have to know how to reboard and right the kayak and hopefully all the stuff will still be attached afterwards.

N

Make sure your fins are attached so you can get at them easily when not on, you will find that they come in quite handy after the roll.

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

I use a Malibu 2 Ocean Kayak for diving. There is limited shore access on Long Island so with this I can reach 95% of the shore line without paddling more than 5 miles from the put in. You are better off with the larger kayak as they will carry the weight better and are more stable making it easier to get back onto. You need to have everything secured at all times and carry all the usual safety equipment that you would in a normal dive boat. For the most part I am diving shallow with a kayak so I use a 50' umbilical attached to the tank so I can leave the tank in the kayak while I dive.

I'm planning on flopping off the kayak with fins and mask on, pulling off tank and inflated BCD,
getting into BCD on surface, doing a buddy check and away we go. With help from my dive buddy, I'm
also hoping I can flop the tank and BCD back on the back of the Kayak. I also plan on practicing in my
pool.

I'm planning on flopping off the kayak with fins and mask on, pulling off tank and inflated BCD,
getting into BCD on surface, doing a buddy check and away we go. With help from my dive buddy, I'm
also hoping I can flop the tank and BCD back on the back of the Kayak. I also plan on practicing in my
pool.

You have it mostly right. Keep some air in the BC and put the rig together before putting it aboard the yak. With the BC/rig inflated partially, at the dive site, turn around in the seat, undo the straps and roll it over, tethered to the yak with a bolt snap or similar. Put the rig on in the water, regulator in mouth first (with air on), tow the yak with you, I use a 1/8 inch line and reel. Sometimes I may also carry a small 1.5 pound fluke anchor to clip to the reel for temporary anchoring or a small grapple and snap (no current!!!!!!). Once the dive is completed, snap the tether back to the BC/rig, remove the BC by sliding out with the regulator IN YOUR MOUTH until you are out of the BC and free!!!!!!!!! Using your fins to assist, enter the yak with a pull from your arms reaching across to the other side. Give a big scissor kick as you slither up. Flip around backwards, kneeling, pull the BC/rig into the tank well and secure, flip around and sit down, find paddle, away you go.

Sometimes rather than kneeling on your haunches, sit with your legs over the sides, with fins on even, to act as stabilizers. Depends on you and your boat.

I am NOT of a mind to put things like wetsuit tops on while at sea. If the top gets stuck with my arms up and head covered and I roll over, oh well, your results may vary but that kicks my claustrophobia into the red zone.

N

I have had too many times that other boaters thought they found a kayak with dive flag and all. I am hesitant to go to deep because I want to be able to surface anytime. Otherwise the freedom to go where you want to go and explore beyond is huge. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom