Kayak outriggers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Question: my husband is all stoked about taking our Ocean Kayak Malibu Two XL with us in a couple of weeks to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Florida. And he's concerned about the weight issues so he's making outriggers to give it 50 lbs more bouyancy.
We tried it out at Branson, Missouri, at Table Rock Lake just after Memorial Day. It was veeeery nice, handled well in lake conditions, but felt overloaded with two divers and gear. The yak is rated at 450 to 500 lbs, which is about what we had on it (of course, I won't be taking my purse diving. :) )
Any thoughts on this?

Here is a design that Richard is thinking about. It's in the articles section at kayakfishingstuff.com

Homemade Outriggers Fishing Techniques, Rigging Explanations, Kayak Recommendations and more

Thanks!

It might be cheaper and easier to tow an inexpensive inflatable behind you with your tanks (of course make sure the bottom is strong enough to stay intact with the tanks loaded). That will keep the inflatable from being top heavy and will considerably lighten the load in your kayak.

Trisha,
I also own a Malibu Two (not the XL). Between me, a buddy, a big camera, video camera, freediving gear, drinks, etc. I am putting at least 460 pounds on mine and it is not the XL version of the kayak. It rides low in the water and it does just fine. If you are carrying tanks too then I can see why it feels crowded and top heavy. Tanks will definitely make it much more top heavy but with a little experience 2 paddlers should be able to balance it.

Everyone rolls their kayak every now and then so just plan ahead for that. Wear your mask around your neck and keep your gear tied on to the kayak. Keep air in your BC. Make sure you wont get tangled up in the gear & lines if it were to roll over.

Judging from the link you provided I don't think they will help much with bouyancy but they should help prevent you from rolling over.

I love my Malibu Two. They are great kayaks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! We put the kayak into the levy at Lake Overholser Monday for a few minutes. On board were myself, Richard, and our daughter, Liz, who perched on the PVC / pool noodle outrigger and pretended to be our gear.
Good news -- we had great lift.
Bad news -- we couldn't paddle worth anything with the outrigger in the way. Not a good idea in surf and current.
So we took Cleopatra back to shore and rethought this. It looks like Richard is going to take a hacksaw to the pipes and reposition the noodles a few inches from the yak. We need lift, not roll prevention, so we shall see how it all sorts out.
You do have Lowe's in Florida, right?

Scuba Tuesday at OKCCC to check the gear... packing, packing....
I went over some previous posts... we started making the drive to Florida back in March 2005 and I was complaining about the horrible gas prices that were $2.00 and higher!
I was so glad when we got back to Oklahoma and the price dropped.
Who knew?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom