First Kayak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobJax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to buy my first Kayak and I think I have narrowed it down to three. First off, I am 6'1" and about 260 lbs and new to kayaking. I am looking for something that I can take out by myself and just row, or take a family member (or two) with me. I will also use it for the occasional fishing... and would love to dive from it if I can find a buddy to kayak dive with.

Now the three I am looking at are the Ocean Kayak Malibu Two, the Malibu Pro 2 Tandem, and the Cobra Fish n Dive (which is right now in a distant last because of the cost). Any one with experience in one or all of these that could offer some insight?

By looking at them the OK and the Cobra wouldn't be a problem solo because of the center seat. Does anyone use the Malibu solo? There doesn't appear to be a center seat option with the Malibu, how bad will the bow rise when I am using it solo?

A roughly 13'+ kayak with a single seat, that is narrow, and has a tank well should work great. Wide is slow and unnecessary. The Scupper Pro TW is the all time great kayak, but it is now made under a different brand name. The Prowler should work well.

Yeah I was looking at the tandems so i could take my wife and/or daughter along also if they were with me.

I have been using a Malibu 2 to dive from for many years and it works great for me. The most important thing you want to look at is how much weight these things are rated to carry.

I have both the Malibu 2 and ocean trident 15. Both are great to kayak from. Actually just went out the other day.

Sports Authority has kayaks at 30% off right now. There seemed to be some good deals and they seemed to be real kayaks not toys, but admittedly I know little about kayaks.

Pulled the trigger on a Malibu Pro Tandem 2. Found a great deal on a used one. I have taken it out twice so far (just paddling not diving yet) once solo and once with my dad. Seems like a real solid ride either way.

Perception makes good kayaks as well. I've got an OK Drifter myself though... width is similar to a Prowler.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom