My Vibe Shearwater Kayak...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
In keeping with my love of Shearwater, I bought the Vibe Shearwater and am almost ready to launch. First, I wanted Sonar and GPS. Sure, I'll fish some, but I really want to see what I can see down there before I splash. It needed power, so I researched how much I would need for a long day on the water and more than doubled that. Just how hard would be to add an aft light in case I go out early in the morning or a rain storm hits me? I want to fly a flag from that mast, so 3 ft is the minimum. Hey, if I add a switch, I could add bow lights! I could add another switch and have a horn too! Woot. So, that's what I did. I still have a bit of machining to do to mount the Garmin Vivid 7sv unit, but I think I'll get her wet before that.

CAD design was done using www.OnShape.com. It's intuitive and even I could understand their tutorials. YouTube has a lot. I printed it with white PLA on a Crealty Ender 3 S-1 Pro because it was loaded. Were I printing today, I would opt for the carbon fiber stuff that's out there.

1677689429908.png

Two ports, one fore and the other aft.

1677689742872.png

This is the second iteration of the 3D printed battery tray. It was way too hard to get it in and out of the port The fuse bus is bolted in from the rear, but the main wires are most of the problem with getting in and out.

1677689907121.png

Final edition of the 3D printed battery tray. I put in a nicer plate to mount the fuse bus and molded in a place for an SS 6mm bolt to act as the common ground.

1677690112347.png

All wired and ready to take the plunge. I only used three of the six circuits, and the other fuses will act as extras if I need them. FWIW. I'm pretty happy with my wire crimping. The heat shrink tubing is adhesive lined to seal water vapor out.

1677690481954.png

All buttoned up and ready to launch. I added a 3D printed handle to assist in removing and installing the battery tray. You can see the two gland nuts with the cable on the lower left, with the charge/power port on the right. It will power the Garmin unit.​

1677691937106.png

The simple switch box with room for more

1677691994811.png

Early dusk. Neither the seat nor the pedals are installed.

1677692179764.png

I went with all LED since the load is quite minimal. I even changed out the incandescent bulb in the aft light for a much brighter LED that used about half the juice. Look ma, a Christmas tree!​

Can anyone see the problem in the second picture of the first post?

Bob, sorry, you are incorrect.

The correct question is "Is the load plugged onto output-terminal #1 instead of the correct terminal #3?"

Can anyone see the problem in the second picture of the first post?
Your stern light is shining ahead... So you'll look like a small motor boat.

Good eyes... I spotted it as I was editing those pics about a month ago. I don't remember if I pulled the fuse or the light to resolve it then, but I ultimately put a 10 amp fuse in every socket when I installed tray tres.

I'm ready to launch...

1677768489447.png

1677769083700.png

The pedals are tethered in now. I would hate to lose them if my kayak took a spill. Now to figure out how to get it to the river. I'd like to go pedal/paddle today!

Before I forget again, here is a link to their website: Shearwater 125

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom