kayak to second reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone in the Broward Beach area use a dive kayak to dive the second reef line? I surface swam to the mooring balls at Commercial Pier a few weeks ago and did not feel entirely comfortable alone on the surface (there were two dive boats or I wouldn't have gone). Did a short dive and came back under water with the tide. Is it legal to kayak out there? Would people try to steal my boat? Does anyone in Broward area have a dive kayak for sale?

evad once bubbled...
Does anyone in the Broward Beach area use a dive kayak to dive the second reef line?
I'm looking for kayak buddies, even non-kayakers to fill the second seat when Marvel is gone.

I finally broke down and bought a DiveYak today so that we can beach dive the second (and third) reef from between Sunrise and Commercial. The entire investment will be paid for in only 12 to 15 trips!

We have kicked out to the mooring balls a couple of times and while comfortable we would prefer saving our air. I'm more eager to do the third reef, but we'll start out slowly.

There is a dive kayak club in the area: www.kayuba.org.. The next meeting is the 18th and it's said they do a trip every weekend.

My diveyak is a tandem, so if Marvel isn't going I'll be looking for somebody to take the second seat.

Let me know if you're interested.

showboat once bubbled...
You are ready Mike. It looks like I will be free this week during the weekdays, maybe wednesday or thursday
Excellent, Dan, we've enjoyed diving with you! I'll know more tomorrow about the rest of the week. Tomorrow I'm going to put it in the water and see how it handles without tanks. You interested in getting wet but not diving?

Hey Ole buddy
Remember me?? Lemme know when you wanna go!
What about a night dive on Wed? (not kayak tho)

Still a bit new at it.

Give me a yell. My cell died (kayak accident) so I am without a phone for a few days.

Peter

Mike,

That was an old post. I've been out there a couple of more times with people I picked up in the parking lot (is everyone in Fla.
a scuba instructor or is that just something people in parking lots
say?) What makes me uncomfortable, is guys on ski-doos. They don't seem to care or be paying attention to where they're going.
I've actually seen one pass between a diver on the surface and his dive flag and am still trying to figure out an efficient way to closeline guys on ski doos. The third reef sounds great. I may buy a kayak (I may move to Fla.).:We could raft them together for stability and visibility. I'm trapped in NYC right now but will probably come down for Nov. Maybe I'll just move there. In any case, the third reef sounds great. I've been mulling over the kayak thing for a while so any kayak stories would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

DAVE

MikeJacobs once bubbled...
Excellent, Dan, we've enjoyed diving with you! I'll know more tomorrow about the rest of the week. Tomorrow I'm going to put it in the water and see how it handles without tanks. You interested in getting wet but not diving?

Mike, it looks like wednesday will be great day for some diving as my partner will be pulling some teeth in the AM at the dentist :)
which get me a free pass.

Sure I am interested in getting a good workout

:mean: :boom:

Great - lots of interest, I see. Terrific - if the weather holds like it did last month I hope to do another 20-30 dives this month (mostly off the diveyak).

Because work is busy I'm starting slow, however. I hope to get it wet tomorrow (finally). A wednesday dive is probable but it all depends on how much work I get through tomorrow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom