kayak to second reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... just thought I'd resurrect this thread to redirect deepseawolf's question to an 'on topic' area.

We bought a tandem diveyak nearly two months ago when I took an apartment ON the beach at Hibiscus (2 streets south of the commercial blvd pier). I figured that it would pay for itself by getting us out to some nearby boat-dive reefs.

Marvel and I aren't in the best of shape, but we manage just fine. Paddling out to the balls fully loaded is no problem - solo or tandem. We tie to the balls and Marvel reads while I dive (she can't go in the water for a month due to eye surgery). We're slowly exploring the whole dropoff of the first reef, and we just found a second set of balls off the pier to paddle to (maybe this weekend).

As I've written in the past the diveyak is as slow as it is stable - that's the tradeoff. It's very wide, but that makes for stability even with two kits, water, music, books and even all the safety stuff.

I would expect it to handle a little like a canoe in a river or on a lake... haven't tried it yet but we have some Florida Trail Association trips planned as soon as it cools off. I'll be able to haul a large tent, ice chest, all the 'car camping' gear and maybe even a dutch even.

It takes some upper body strength, especially when fighting a current but I wouldn't want to be the only paddler with the weight of two even with a tail wind.

They're very inexpensive - I paid $500 for the SOT and the newer SINK model is only $715... it's more like a zodiac and can even take a small motor! They're a lot of fun, reliable, sturdy and very well designed with a place for everything.

But they're NOT real kayaks lol...

My teen son and I rented a SOT-yak last summer and headed into the gulf off Cedar Key. We paddled against a headwind AND two to three foot swells with a sudden squall that appeared out of nowhere. Reminded me of the movie TWISTER!
We made it to the First key and pulled on land.
It was an ocean kayak twin seater, and we were just spearfishing so there wasn't much gear. The storm really silted the area and our fingers disappered at arm's length so we just waded a bit..
I did have a bull manatee, cow and calf surface about twenty feet away and hover for a bit before moving off. That was cool.
We tried to walk the interior but got a thousand "skeeter bites" in the first ten feet of jungle.
We decided after playing on shore a bit to head back before weather got nasty and returned on less than a quarter tank of gas if ya know what I mean.
It handled well for the nasty swells but I would not attempt it again without a motor! That nautical mile back was hell even WITH a tail wind!

DEEPSEAWOLF once bubbled... SNIP...We decided after playing on shore a bit to head back before weather got nasty and returned on less than a quarter tank of gas if ya know what I mean. It handled well for the nasty swells but I would not attempt it again without a motor! That nautical mile back was hell even WITH a tail wind!
All-in-all a great trip, though, huh? Oh, I know what you mean - like backpacking the hardest part can be the return when you're tired and ready to be HOME.

Still, it's healthy exercise in the open air and when I remember to look at it that way the tough trips just seem like a good workout. I hate gyms.

Next time you're going to be in town let me know and we can do a trip out if the weather is good. On Saturday mornings the Kayubas go out from about a mile down-shore and I haven't worked up the nerve to join them yet... they have "real" kayaks lol.

Dan (Showboat) and I are trying to get together to do some night dives from the diveyak. THAT should be interesting.

I was told that its illegal to launch a kayak from the beach at Lauderdale-by-the-sea. (I was advised to go early to beat the cops). Maybe the law is only applicable to hard boats? What's the deal?

Heres a link for a Dive Yak site that I've had bookmarked for a few years
http://members.tripod.com/~kayakdiving/
I have been debating on getting a tandem for the little lady and myself. What make and model does everyone use and hows the gear storage. I'm thinking about either Ocean Kayak, Necky or Perception for our boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom