Kayak vs. Inflatable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have lots of experience diving from 13-14' inflatables. I have experience sea kayaking but not kayak/diving. I own a small (11') inflatable that I have used many times for lake fishing. I have a 5 hp motor and wheels mounted on the transom and can easily drag the boat from my truck to the water. The boat will probably only accommodate two divers and gear.

I am interested in comparing the utility of this boat versus a kayak for diving because of its size. It is more stable than a kayak and not much faster. In a group dive I would think it might be compatible with kayak divers. Do kayak divers ever dive solo? How does a small inflatable carrying two divers compare to two divers in two kayaks for diving comfort and ease?

MODS: I have reposted this from the Norcal forum.

I have lots of experience diving from 13-14' inflatables. I have experience sea kayaking but not kayak/diving. I own a small (11') inflatable that I have used many times for lake fishing. I have a 5 hp motor and wheels mounted on the transom and can easily drag the boat from my truck to the water. The boat will probably only accommodate two divers and gear.

I am interested in comparing the utility of this boat versus a kayak for diving because of its size. It is more stable than a kayak and not much faster. In a group dive I would think it might be compatible with kayak divers. Do kayak divers ever dive solo? How does a small inflatable carrying two divers compare to two divers in two kayaks for diving comfort and ease?

MODS: I have reposted this from the Norcal forum.

I have both, have used both, they are not really the same thing. First, you do not want a sit inside sea kayak, you want a sit on top OK or similar, my favorite is the OK Scupper Pro TW. Kayaks are great for extended shore diving, the yak acts as a base of operation. It is equally good for scuba or free diving and by "extended" I mean new places, farther distances become reachable that a swimming shore diver cannot reach. Easy to carry on a roof rack, great for solo.

An inflatable, a 13 or 14 foot roll up boat with a 20 to 40 horse engine, can take you much farther but is more expensive and requires set up or a trailer and at least two people to handle for shore entry/assembly and recovery. The inflatable is much more roomy, much more stable and again can reach even more remote places from your shore or protected entry point and can carry a buddy or two or even three.

N

An inflatable, a 13 or 14 foot roll up boat with a 20 to 40 horse engine, can take you much farther but is more expensive and requires set up or a trailer and at least two people to handle for shore entry/assembly and recovery. The inflatable is much more roomy, much more stable and again can reach even more remote places from your shore or protected entry point and can carry a buddy or two or even three.

N

I have done hundreds of dives with the boats you describe. My current question relates to smaller inflatables and outboards. In my case, an 11' Avon with a 5 hp Honda four stroke. I am interest in hearing how they compare with SOT kayaks and if they are compatible on a dive outing with kayakers.

There are a lot of beaches that don't allow launching of motorized craft, that's where a SOT kayak comes in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom