Kayaking to scuba spot? Anybody do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have recently purchased 2 yaks for diving, freediving, exercise, and fishing. I have a 12.5 ft.
Malibu pro explorerand a 12 ft. Pompano from Westmarine. I have not yet dove from Yaks but
plan on doing so. I like the idea of paddling out to a good dive spot without doing a major surface swim.
The Yaks are fun in general. Last Sundaymy daughter and I went for a 4 hour paddle around
Marina Del Rey.:)

Come on Peter, it isn't that much of a swim.
Bob
--------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.
I am a lazy diver what can I say? A scooter allows me to get out there quickly without swimming...Just started the process of building my version of the ultimate beach cart to get all of our gear across the beach in one shot with zero effort. Carrying two HP130's across the beach is a workout. Plus it can bring me back to the parking lot after diving. Best not to do anything strenuous after pushing NDL's.

I do some kayak diving on Long Island NY with an OK Malibu Two sit on top kayak and a surface supply rig I made myself. The Malibu Two is not set up for diving but it was set up to be paddled by either one or two people so it can carry a 450lb load. How much weight your kayak is rated to carry is a critical factor, the trade off is that the larger kayak is going to be a little harder to paddle. If you over load a smaller kayak it will become unmanageable and harder to paddle then a larger kayak. I have dove wrecks a mile off shore or less with no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom