Keefes Bimini Undersea ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

idive2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
anyone have any first hand experience with this dive operator ?
they have some pretty reasonable three and four day packages,
might be a little change from the local florida diving, thanks in
advance for any comments.

kevin

I did some diving with them about a year ago. They're great and so is the diving. Definately a good idea to go there before the Bimini Bay development destroys the diving.

idive2:

He's I think the only dive operator on North Bimini, so you've got little
choice if there and you need air fils... there is also an alternative
of using Scuba Bimini on South Bimini...

I was in there several years ago getting air fills and the guy running the place
was a complete ***-hole. I mean he was an idiot, rude, and overpriced.
I think air fills were $8 each.

We were going to book the dolphin encounter swim at $125 each for
4 people. ($500 total). Anyway, I asked him where he did the dolphin
dive/swim? (meaning what general area). He went ballastic telling
me how people were always trying to figure out where he did these
swims so they didn't have to pay for them and that he was tired
of people trying to rip him off (as he was ripping us off at $8 per fill).
I told him 'nevermind' very sarcastically and we left and went back
to the boat with our tanks.

When we got back to the boat the other people with us asked when
the dolphin dive/swim was and we told them about how much of a
jerk the guy at the shop was.... They were all glad we didn't book
it with him since we knew we didn't want to be on a boat with him.

Ironically a later that day, a few miles from Bimini, we ran into that
pod of about 15 dolphins and swam off our boat with them for a couple
hours, saving us $500 bucks. Bimini Undersea just screwed themselves
out of us booking with their poor customer service and jerk attitude.

so needless to say we did not have a positive opinion of Bimini Undersea.
I've heard some other negative information about him also, but since
I wasn't there for that and it's 2nd hand info... I won't post that...

So Mike;

I know that it's been a number of years, but I have to say, I don't recall having this interaction with you, and, can't recall ever really "going ballistic" with anyone.
One of the most common questions we get from private boaters is "where do we encounter the dolphins?". For a number of reasons we don't share that specific information. Primarily for the safety of the Dolphins. It takes us almost a full year to train a new (experienced) Captain to safely operate a motor vessel amongst a pod of Wild Dolphins. It's great that you encountered Dolphins on your own. There are literally hundreds of dolphins of all kinds that travel past Bimini throughout the year.
As far as air fills go. At that time, $8.00 per fill was pretty standard throughout most of the Bahamas Out Islands. To this day, most electrical power in the out islands is provided by diesel generators. The cost of electricity is extremely high throughout all of the Bahamas. It is common for a power bill in the Bahamas to be about four times the equivalent power bill in Florida.

As far as me being a "jerk" and an "a**hole" to you and your buddies, not exactly sure what happened there or what I did. Obviously you came away with a bad impression so I accept responsibility for that and please accept my apology. Regardless of the content and context of our conversation, there's no excuse for treating someone rudely. Obviously, based on your account, I am guilty of that.

Best in Diving
Bill Keefe
Bimini Undersea

Last edited:
Holy resurrected thread, batman. Bill, I have a complaint from 12 years ago; October 1997 to be exact. We booked the dolphin adventure as well as a few dives for my then-spouse's milestone birthday (which is how I remember the date). It was too rough to go out but you did anyway, we got halfway there and the captain had to turn the boat around, so after we spent a lot of money, we never got to see any dolphins and we endured a long boat ride in rough seas for nothing. You would not refund our money because after all "you went out". I think we got a partial credit toward another dolphin excursion which we chose to never use.

It's a shame because just over that one interaction, I won't come back to dive with you even though you are actually closer to me geographically than Key Largo.

Bill,

Thanks for posting. I have never dove with you, but my wife and I are thinking about coming over this summer. We have been going to West End for the past couple of years and would like to go back to Bimini.

Several years ago I rented some tanks from you to do some dives off our boat. I never got to do the dives, and when I returned the tanks full you gave me back my rental fee. You didn't have to do that. That is customer service.

Holy resurrected thread, batman. Bill, I have a complaint from 12 years ago; October 1997 to be exact. We booked the dolphin adventure as well as a few dives for my then-spouse's milestone birthday (which is how I remember the date). It was too rough to go out but you did anyway, we got halfway there and the captain had to turn the boat around, so after we spent a lot of money, we never got to see any dolphins and we endured a long boat ride in rough seas for nothing. You would not refund our money because after all "you went out". I think we got a partial credit toward another dolphin excursion which we chose to never use.

It's a shame because just over that one interaction, I won't come back to dive with you even though you are actually closer to me geographically than Key Largo.
I only became aware of this message board 2 weeks ago

So Debby - here's the policy. Same policy for the past 16 years. If a single day Wild Dolphin Trip is canceled, postponed, or cut short due to inclement weather or unsafe sea conditions, the participant gets a credit for a positive space trip in the future. Credit is good for one year. We don't have any provisions for "partial credit" on future trips for weather related issues. All guests are made aware of that, as well as all terms and conditions that pertain to the trip, before payment is accepted.
We are of course sorry that because of your experience, you've not dove with us for 12 years. And you are correct, you ARE closer to Bimini than Key Largo.
I have no idea if you have any interest in this, and, I'll offer it anyway. I'm happy to reinstate the credit for you for 2 for a future Wild Dolphin Trip. or if you prefer, you can use them for a 2 tank dive. Your choice. If you DO want to take me up on this, please contact me via private message to make arrangements.
If not, I understand

Safe Diving
Bill Keefe
Bimini Undersea

kevin
Kevin;

I'm curious.
Did you ever come diving with us ?

Bill Keefe
Bimini Undersea

I dove with Bimini Undersea back in 2003 and had an amazing time. The weather, general ocean conditions, visibility, service from staff and crew, hotel (Bimini Big Game Club), and the diving were all excellent. We went in June. I haven't gone back, but not because I haven't wanted too. If memory serves we did 14 dives in 3 1/2 days... a lot for me. My ears were clogged for a month after that, but it was worth it.

Based on my experience I would recommend them highly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom