Keep 7070 or upgrade to canon g16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbilicska

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all on this fine spring evening.
I have an Olympus 7070 camera with an ikelite housing. been using it for years while we snorkel and get pretty decent pictures but a whole lot of blues and greens. I was thinking of getting an ikelite ds51 strobe to help out but may hold off and see if I can get a deal on the strobe, canon g16 camera and ikelite housing. The other option is getting an ikelite housing for my sony a65 dslr but that's $1800 and just might be a little hard to tote around while I snorkel and freedive down to 15 to 25 foot of water.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

Thanks just trying to get better pictures.
internal flash is always on
Problem is we're out at all times of day
sometimes shot is from shaded side of underwater boulders

An external flash is great, but it makes your camera much bigger. (arms, tray etc)
If you consider g16, also consider sony rx100, some of the old versions are available at the same price.

My ikelite housing for my Olympus 7070 has a tray and a handle

Makes it easier to swim around with
Thanks I understand your point about the strobe
just trying to figure out whether it's worth it or nor

Hello all on this fine spring evening.
I have an Olympus 7070 camera with an ikelite housing. been using it for years while we snorkel and get pretty decent pictures but a whole lot of blues and greens. I was thinking of getting an ikelite ds51 strobe to help out but may hold off and see if I can get a deal on the strobe, canon g16 camera and ikelite housing. The other option is getting an ikelite housing for my sony a65 dslr but that's $1800 and just might be a little hard to tote around while I snorkel and freedive down to 15 to 25 foot of water.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Joe

I'd go with the Canon G16, it has a much larger LCD, that will be much easier to view than the tiny one on the Oly 7070, plus a lot more technology in the G16 which results in nicer photos. It is much easier to set manual white balance with a push of one button, which will result in much more natural colour up to 10 meters deep. I'd also get a Magic Filter for snorkeling photography, this will really bring back some richer/natural colours. Personally after using various housings with the G16, my choice would be 100% with the Fantasea = small, lightweight, easy to use the rear dial via a rotating control shaft. Well made housing and not expensive.

Thanks Jeff
I kind of like the ikelite housings. I like to see that oring, makes me feel just a little bit safer.
Well it's time for a new camera. Old olympus is acting up and it is very hard to see that small screen.
Leaning towards the canon g16 but the sony rx100 m1 also looks great. I can reuse the tray and handle on my old ikelite housing on either new (Sony or canon camera) with their respective housings. Will probably get a fiber optic strobe in the future . Heard good things about the sea sea ys 01 strobe along with ultralight arms
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff
I kind of like the ikelite housings. I like to see that oring, makes me feel just a little bit safer.
Well it's time for a new camera. Old olympus is acting up and it is very hard to see that small screen.
Leaning towards the canon g16 but the sony rx100 m1 also looks great. I can reuse the tray and handle on my old ikelite housing on either new (Sony or canon camera) with their respective housings. Will probably get a fiber optic strobe in the future . Heard good things about the sea sea ys 01 strobe along with ultralight arms
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi jbilicska
Nothing wrong with Ikelite Housings, but if you get a chance at least have a look at the Fantasea. It has double O rings, and a clear back, so you can also see the O Rings, the Fantasea is a lot more ergonomic than the Ikelite housing. The zoom is a lot easier to use etc. etc.
Also note I have no association with Fantasea, in any way shape or form..... I just know a good housing when I see and use as many as I do!
Also consider the YSD1 Sea & Sea strobe, the YS01 is a bit of a toy, or go the whole hog and get an Inon Z240. It will save you updating later. My own Inon strobes (Z220's) have been in constant use since 1999 and are still as good as new.

Thanks once again. I will look into it.
Money is somewhat of a factor. Don't mind paying a little extra now for something that will help in the future.

Being that I'm just going down 15 to 25 feet on the average will the more expensive strobes make a difference. I have never used a strobe before and I have a whole lot to learn
Don't anticipate becoming a diver so just snorkeling and diving down for the sights.

Thanks once again. I will look into it.
Money is somewhat of a factor. Don't mind paying a little extra now for something that will help in the future.

Being that I'm just going down 15 to 25 feet on the average will the more expensive strobes make a difference. I have never used a strobe before and I have a whole lot to learn
Don't anticipate becoming a diver so just snorkeling and diving down for the sights.

Hi jbilicska
Of the major brands of strobes, the more expensive end of the range will put out a larger amount of light over a wider beam area. As an example, if you were taking fish eye shots (ultra wide angle), then yes the more expensive strobes will make a difference. But if you are taking fish photos or macro subjects without a wide angle lens, then one of the entry or mid range strobes will easily do the job.
If you are trying to save a dollar, the Inon S2000, Inon D2000 or Sea & Sea YSD1 are all good solid strobes that won't cost a fortune.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom