Keuka mooring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StanS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have just installed a new mooring on the Keuka shipwreck in Lake Charlevoix. This is a very popular wreck to dive but a permanent mooring has sadly been lacking. The new mooring is chained thru both hawse pipes and has a 5/8 inch line going up to a five gal. jug at ten feet. Just below the jug there is a 1/2 inch tag line attached going up to the surface. At the surface there is a small foam filled jug. Even if the surface tag line gets cut it is easily replaced . This mooring should last for many years and makes diving the wreck safer and easier.

We appreciate your efforts, also the expense. Hopefully, It will not be disturbed.

Thanks! I dive that wreck frequently. I appreciate it!

Can I get directions to the wreck and any others in the area please.

I have installed a mooring on the Jacob P in lake Charlevoix. This 70 ft. sailing ship lies in 68ft. of water in the north end of the lake. The GPS no's are 45 18 786 085 13 553 The mooring is the same as the Kueka with a sub-surface jug and a foam filled jug on the surface. The GPS no's for the Kueka mooring are 45 18 329 085 14 292

I have installed a mooring on the Jacob P in lake Charlevoix. This 70 ft. sailing ship lies in 68ft. of water in the north end of the lake. The GPS no's are 45 18 786 085 13 553 The mooring is the same as the Kueka with a sub-surface jug and a foam filled jug on the surface. The GPS no's for the Kueka mooring are 45 18 329 085 14 292

StanS - can you give any history or details on the Jacob P? Any other dive-able ships on Lake Charlevoix?

I have seen the old ships in Oyster Bay, and Dive the Kueka regularly, but hadn't heard about the Jacob P until this post.

I am going to try to get out there this weekend, unless the boat traffic for the holiday is too heavy.

CD

I think Jack Spencer and some people from Scuba North found the wreck originally and named it the Jacob P. I do not know if this is correct. I did dive the wreck and shot video on Mon. the 5th. I was surprised that I had 40 ft. plus vis and the video came out great. The mooring has been left alone is in great shape.

Hey CED - What old ships in Oyster Bay? I'll be up there this weekend and would love something new to add to the 3 choices we have
Thanks

Dove Lake Charlevoix last Saturday (Oct 9) - had a ball as usual. Viz was reasonable 25-30 feet or so

Thanks for the great mooring work Stan - Jacob P mooring is still intact and the GPS #'s are spot on!

Unfortunately, on the way to the Jacob P, we say the subsurface bouy for the Keuka, and noticed the surface jug was missing - Sorry Stan but we didn't have anything to replace the surface jug with.
But your GPS Number will put you right on top of her as well.

A couple of fishing boats were a little put out that we were diving the Keuka. One powered in to within 50 yards before recognizing the 36" dive flag I was flying - gave me a middle finger salute and left. Another came within 30 feet before he even realized we were there - to busy watching his fish finder - my horn blast scared him so bad he almost lost it.

We considered diving the Elizebeth in Round Lake, but didn't think the boat traffic would appreciate it (nor the Coast Guard). Plus the Ferry was running -- we'll wait until later in the season - or very early next season.

Just wanted to say thanks again Stan!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom