Key Largo Dives May 7-9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeb21072

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We finally made it back down to Key Largo for three days of diving, we were last down at the first of the year. We were with Rainbow Reef, our favorite dive Op, and had a great time. The weather was great and the conditions were awesome. We dove some familiar sites (Nikki's Beach, Hole in the Wall, North Star, and Renee's Ledge), and a couple we have never dove before (Davis Reef and Davey Crocker). We were noticing on the sea fans very small, white, nudi branch looking invertebrates? I am not sure they are immature nudi's or flame tongues, but they were prevalent during the dives. I had never seen them before in the Keys. I downloaded some pics from my wife's camera, but the definition may not be enough to tell what they are, other than white specs. Overall, the coral looked better than when we were down last, especially the brain corrals and plenty of life on the reef. We also saw plenty of sergeant major eggs along with mama guarding the nest, but only one lionfish!

After three days, we are headed north to do a couple of days at the BHB. Hopefully, we can get some shots of frog fish this time, we were there at the end of the year, but they were not around.

Pics are from my wife (Shannon) SeaLife camera with a strobe, she is still dialing in the settings.

Mike and Shannon

Happy Mother's Day!

PICT0210.jpgPICT0219.jpgPICT0256.jpgPICT0375.jpgPICT0388.jpgPICT0390.jpg

good to hear you had a nice time

Thanks so much for the trip report! We are headed down to Key Largo on Saturday for the 3rd Annual Cajun Invasion. Looking forward to a BON TEMPS with the gang at Rainbow Reef and our ScubaBoard buddies :D

Thanks, we have had a great time, as always. We take a lot of trips each year, but we enjoy Key Largo the best. I think it is because of the people we have met, not just the scenery, that keeps us coming back to KL.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2015 at 04:25 PM ----------

Cajun Diva,

We had another great time with RR, and you will have to get Jardin to show you pic's of the 3 month old kid. Water temp was hovering around 78F, but I was fine in a 3/2 full suit, granted it has a lot of dives on it. My wife was diving in a lavacore top/hood and shorts, and she was fine; plus some were just wearing board shorts. Seas were glass for most of our trip, but vis was in the 40's overall, no complaints with the conditions and now I have 6 hours of video to go through from the go pro.

I am sure you will have a great time while you are down. One day, we will all probably end up on the boat together by accident, if not already. I am the bald, fat guy with the tattoos. That really narrows it down on a dive boat??

Enjoy your trip.

Mike

Hi there. I'm thinking about heading to Key Largo with my 15, 18 year olds (their 3rd) dive trip. We've been to Cozumel and Cayman Brac, never the keys. I'm looking at staying on the reserve. I'm trying to hunt out the best dive ops - 2 tank morning dives and lower capacity boats. I'd REALLY love suggestions.
Thanks, Sherry

Sherry -

Our first dive in Key Largo was 15 years ago. We were unsure of which op to choose. We ended up with Rainbow Reef Dive Center, and 15 years later we're still diving with them. They are a fantastic op - nice boats, safe operation, and most of all...FUN! Dive guides are included at no additional charge. While dive guides are not always a necessity, they know where to find all the cool stuff and they are lots of fun!

The dive boats are not small. They use larger Newton dive boats with a wide beam, making it comfortable and roomy for all on board. I am the poster child for seasickness, and their boats are a much better option for me :D

Also, they are located right at the head of the Port Largo Marina at MM100 in Key Largo. They are surrounded by the Courtyard by Marriott, Holiday Inn, Key West Inn and Marina del Mar and offer discount dive & stay packages with those accomodations.

Sherry,

I have done ~60 dives with Rainbow Reef and they are our preferred dive op in Key Largo. They have larger boats that can carry more divers, but they are very efficient about getting you on and off the boat. I have dove in the Grand Cayman's, and I thought I would never get off the boat. Even with 15-20 divers onboard, you are in the water in a hurry, which really helps when you are all geared up sitting in the sun.

You will probably get a lot of opinions on who is the best, but due to the high competition in the Key's, you have to be good to stick around. That being said, I am headed back in July, and they are the only dive op I am calling to book a spot.

Key Largo has some of the best diving in my opinion, and I think the coral/reef is healthier than the Cayman's. Plus, the depth is 30-40 feet on Molasses Reef, so it is a good place for new divers to get comfortable in the water.

Mike

I stayed away from the big island in Caymans....we went out with Brac Scuba Shack and would go back. I think there was only one other dive op on Cayman Brac which was connected to a hotel. Cayman Brac was AWESOME! I tend to stay away from big boats in general. I prefer the intimate experience on smaller boats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom