Key Largo Diving Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvrgaryc

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello all, just got back from a long weekend in the Keys. We sure got lucky as far as the weather is concerned. Drove down Thursday and spent the night. Got up Friday morning to clear skies, calm winds, and temperature about 82 degrees. The boat captain said that Thursday's weather was really bad, so we got lucky. Did 2 dives at Elbow reef, saw lots of nurse sharks and a few turtles. I was working with a few open water students on their certification dives and they were totally impressed. The night dive that night was AWESOME!! We dove City of Washington wreck and the weather conditions actually improved over what we had in the morning. Visibility was well over 75 feet, no current, no waves, water temp 82 degrees. When the dive was over, I didn't want to get back in the boat. I just floated on the surface looking at the stars. Saturday was a different story. Woke up with the winds howling about 30 mph. Went to the boat and the captain said he was going anyway. Since I had the open water students and still had to do surface skills, I opted to go to Jules Undersea Lodge and dove in their lagoon. Visibility there was about 15-25 feet, but there's lots of critters if you look closely. The students had a real good time, but the certified divers that went out on the boat got pretty well beaten up by the conditions. On Sunday, the weather conditions changed for the better. We were told the boat was going to the Spiegel Grove, which was the main reason most of these people were on this trip. When tying off to the mooring ball, the visibility was so good, you could see the wreck while sitting in the boat! Had a little surface current due to the small waves, but that disappeared at 20 feet. Had no current on the bottom and visibility exceeded 100 feet. Dove the Benwood wreck on the second dive, but that was anticlimatic after the Spiegel Grove.

dvrgaryc once bubbled...
Saturday was a different story. Woke up with the winds howling about 30 mph. Went to the boat and the captain said he was going anyway. Since I had the open water students and still had to do surface skills, I opted to go to Jules Undersea Lodge and dove in their lagoon. ..... The students had a real good time, but the certified divers that went out on the boat got pretty well beaten up by the conditions.
Wise decision on your part.

Which boat? Did they keep your charter fee for Saturday?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom