Key Largo Diving Sites??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Bess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone,
I’m not a big fan of wreck dives, love coral and aquatic livestock areas so could I get some suggestions from every one of good coral dive sites with lots of life in Key Largo area? We will be staying at the Courtyard Marriott close to “Rainbow Reef Dive Operators” in September, Labor Day weekend and will be using them to dive. We are novice divers with 35 dives each. Mild current is ok as we have dove in Cozumel a little.

Thanks so much,

Marty

I just got back from Key Largo this past Sunday after a week down there. I dove with Horizon Divers for my SDI OW Cert. We went to Elbow Reef, North Dry Rocks, Mike's Wreck, and City of Washington. I cant remember the other two sites but all of them were pretty and full of fish and critters.

I saw reef sharks, nurse shark, big old sea turtle, alot of baracudas, lobsters, lionfish, scorpion fish, eel, and other fish I have no idea were. Cant go wrong its beautiful you'll enjoy it.

The key largo Marriott scuba operation used to be run be ocean divers until a month ago. It’s now pcwatersports. Suzi is getting everything up and running. It looks like you need to ring them fir their boat schedules and to sign up.

I’m also headed to the Marriott in a month or so. So I’m researching the heck out of which operator to use.

Snapper ledge and anywhere on molasses reef are awesome! The one site I found "boring" was the Christ statue, but even that had plenty of life.

The Florida Keys isn't Cozumel, that's for sure. Lower your expectations in advance so you won't be disappointed. Conditions can vary quite a bit as well due to seasonal variations and wind conditions and temperature. The same reef in Key Largo can look vastly different from one dive day to the next, you just never know.

Rainbow Reef has an extensive well designed web site that lists their dive site schedule going forward months in advance, along with the descriptions of the sites that are on the schedule.

They communicate with other charters and they will make changes based on conditions, they'll take you to the best sites, it's their job and it's good business to take divers places they'll want to return.

As you may already know, Rainbow Reef is one of the few charters in the upper Keys that provide a dive guide at no extra charge, who might be able to find more interesting critters than you would on your own. Make sure they know you want a guide when you make your reservations (assuming of course that you want a guide).

I'm the opposite of you, I prefer the wrecks especially in the upper Keys. They can be loaded with fish, there's a good chance you'll see more life on the wrecks than you will on a reef. Just something to consider, especially if you find the reefs to be lackluster.

Good to know on the wrecks, I was wondering if fish hang out on them. I have only done Kittywake and Doc. Poulson wrecks in Grand Cayman and we don't like the wreck swim throughs much because it's just old rusty metal to me haa haa. But ones with lots of fish etc is great so if you had to recommend a wreck or two what would you suggest?

Thanks,
Marty

Spiegel Grove but the currents can be crazy strong...but vis is amazing during strong currents and alot fish. Theres a Goliath Grouper with a hook still in his mouth, if you see him tell him I said Hi

You will love diving with Rainbow Reef Dive Center. It's an extremely well run dive operation. We've been diving with them since 2004.

Regarding dive sites, you will simply need to choose whether you want to go out on the shallow dives, which are reef dives, or the deep dives, which are generally wreck dives. There is a published schedule on their website, but they normally select the best dive sites available to suit the current conditions. You will be well taken care of!

Be sure to tell them the Cajuns send their best :)

The key largo Marriott scuba operation used to be run be ocean divers until a month ago. It’s now pcwatersports. Suzi is getting everything up and running. It looks like you need to ring them fir their boat schedules and to sign up.

I’m also headed to the Marriott in a month or so. So I’m researching the heck out of which operator to use.

Let me know the dive shop you decide to go with and what was it them you liked. I've heard good things about Rainbow Reef Dive Center which just happens to be close to the Marriot.

Dove with RR in KL last year as a family (daughter was a newly minted diver joining us for the first time). RR set us up with a private guide for day 1, and part of a 5-6 diver group after that. Very nice time. Conditions were rough (for the Florida folks, not us Great Lakes folks)), and they had to cancel one day. Vis was a little cloudy all week, but all in all it was a great bit of diving. Lots of fish & critters.

Dives were in the 45 minute range, typically using around 1/2 an AL80 (would have liked longer dives)....

Sites: Sand Island (23' max), Molasses Reef (44' max), French Reef (47' max), Snapper Ledge (28' max), and Pickles Reef (32' max)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom