Key Largo in January, good or bad idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I want to get some tropical diving going again, and me and my fiancee are deciding between Roatan and Key Largo. It sounds like the weather is a bit unpredictable and there's the likelihood of not being able to dive for part of the trip, so in your experience, would you guys risk the money to take a trip to KL in January? Based on that experience, what's the water temp? What kind of exposure protection do you use?

Roatan or Bonaire Most of the tourists seen in the Keys are winter visitors but the best diving is during the summer.

Since you live in CA, how about Fiji or a multitude of other places in the Pacific?

The Keys, Cozumel, the Bahamas, and the Gulf of Mexico resorts can have iffy weather in winter. "Northerlies", northern cold fronts bring strong winds and waves that keep smaller dive boats in. But they are fronts, in and gone for two or three days then it's warm and still again... Some great winter destinations in the Caribe are Roatan, Belize, the Virgins, the ABC Islands, the Caymans, and many of the small Leeward Islands. And from the West Coast divers flock to Cabo San Lucas, Costa Rica and Hawaii.

Roatan or Bonaire Most of the tourists seen in the Keys are winter visitors but the best diving is during the summer.

Since you live in CA, how about Fiji or a multitude of other places in the Pacific?

I just started working after graduating college so me and my fiancee don't want to spend too much money right now. Fiji would be /expensive/, so. :p it's definitely on the to-do list though!

You could easily be blown out of diving in the Keys in January. In addition, it could be quite chilly topside, at least, not what one would desire for a comfortable dive destination. Roatan could be wetter topside, but it will surely be warmer there, and the water will also be much warmer than in the Keys.

I took my son to the Keys to dive last January. We got one two tank dive in then we got hit with the coldest weather in recent history. Then it rained. We had a good time but got blown out most of the week.

Roatan in January is a crap shoot as well. Went in JAN 09. Stormed every day, near constant rain (not that it mattered underwater). Water temps were a constant 78F, air temps were in the 70s to 80s. Because of the weather we didn't do too much topside.

ANY of the listed destinations are a crap shoot in January. Book whichever you fancy the most and be prepared to spend some time topside. Or go in the Spring instead :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom