Key Largo info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Without a doubt accommodations in that area are certainly cheaper then the Upper Keys.

But as other have said you will have to drive 30 miles each way in a speed controlled environment (55mph and 45mph) with on-going road construction. Additionally you post dive/evening environment will not have the tropical vacation feel.
If I was coming that far to dive, the $120-200ish you would save on lodging would have to be weighed very seriously. How much is a island sunset worth?

Oh, I'm pretty fantastic too! : )

Lots of good lodging options in FL City and most are way less expensive than Key Largo. Many hotels/motels built to accomodate the races in Homestead.

My husband and I are looking into going to Key Largo for a week of diving in early May. Anybody have good suggestions for dive ops and lodging/hotel? We're intermediate level divers with more than 120 dives each under our belt and AOW certification.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Suites of Key largo. 2 story condo style hotel with Kitchens and a great deck overlooking canal. i would suggest Jeff Jarvis, Capt. of the HMS Minnow.

Hope this helps

Yep in the Keys there is a BIG difference between off-season and season rates. Don't hesistate to try to negotiate discounts/price matching with the hotels or ask for cash discounts, especially in this economy.

I've stayed at The Sunset Inn in Islamorada (MM 82) which is reasonably priced, not fancy but clean. Puts you closer to the dive ops than staying in Florida City.
Sunset Inn, an affordable motel in Islamorada in the Florida Keys

Dive op near there in Islamorada is Conch Republic. Capt Gary is an SB regular and they consistently get rave reviews.

Have a blast!

I can relate to your issue. I put together a trip to Largo every year from MD. Between flights and hotel it can eat up your budget. I just cut a deal with rainbow reef (rainbowreef.us) for a stay at Suites at Key Largo. I have stayed at the Ramada and Holiday Inn in Largo. Stay at the Ramada over hoilday Inn. Cheaper and you can use all of the HI stuff. One minute walk. Rooms are almost identical. Ramada has a decent free cont-break. Rainbow is right there in front of the hotel. Quiesence (sp) is a good boat but they do not put a DM in the water (without cost) Rainbow DM is free. I say this because I like to use my time shooting photos not navigating the reef. not to say I can;t find my way around but..... I also recomend Islamorada and Tavenier, little less populated then Largo. Extremely recomend Conch Republic. Capt Gary and Brenda are first rate. Boats are really nice. If you get a chance I highly recomend Snappers Ledge. Wow- thats a lot of fish.

Anyway for me. part of being on vacation is keeping the stress down Espically when youo are enjoying the keys. Staying at hotel where I can walk to the boat beats getting up 2hrs earlier and stressing over that Overseas hwy drive where one accidnet means I could miss the boat. Not worth it. If you haven't booked air yet- big savings on airtran and Southwest right now. Also save bucks by flying into Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami. Only about 30 longer drive, may save over $40 a ticket. If you are looking to save more money rent a car off of airport property. Rentals are cheaper if they dont come from the airport. At Lauderdale simply get your bags and use the free phone to call for a shuttle to pick you up. The rental company picks u up in min and gets you to the shop for free. Very short ride -5m tops. Savings on my mini van by doing this $200. Wow! Great places to eat in the area- Chilli Willies bar food(good wings). Hobos cafe(Largo) good everything. Whallyhos(sp) good seafood. I love the keys tons of diving choices and still in the USA. Have a great time.

I too recommend travel into/out of FLL. But the real advantage is the fact they have a onsite rental car center. So while the drive (once you are in the car) is shorter from Miami, the total time from once you have your bags is almost identical.

Add to that the construction and traffic around Miami (weekends are not too bad); I prefer FLL in almost every case. Even a few smaller rental company's like Royal are located at the onsite rental garage. If you have Amex, I would suggest you at least look at renting the car thru thier online travel section. On the return, nothing is more stressful than dealing with the crowded shuttles at place like MIA.

If you haven't booked air yet- big savings on airtran and Southwest right now. Also save bucks by flying into Ft. Lauderdale instead of Miami. Only about 30 longer drive, may save over $40 a ticket. If you are looking to save more money rent a car off of airport property. Rentals are cheaper if they dont come from the airport. At Lauderdale simply get your bags and use the free phone to call for a shuttle to pick you up. The rental company picks u up in min and gets you to the shop for free. Very short ride -5m tops. Savings on my mini van by doing this $200. Wow! Great places to eat in the area- Chilli Willies bar food(good wings). Hobos cafe(Largo) good everything. Whallyhos(sp) good seafood. I love the keys tons of diving choices and still in the USA. Have a great time.

I too recommend travel into/out of FLL. But the real advantage is the fact they have a onsite rental car center. So while the drive (once you are in the car) is shorter from Miami, the total time from once you have your bags is almost identical.

Add to that the construction and traffic around Miami (weekends are not too bad); I prefer FLL in almost every case. Even a few smaller rental company's like Royal are located at the onsite rental garage. If you have Amex, I would suggest you at least look at renting the car thru thier online travel section. On the return, nothing is more stressful than dealing with the crowded shuttles at place like MIA.

Oh...yeah!!! Avoid the Miami airport at all costs! The last time we were there my wife asked a TSA person a question and almost got arrested! Not good! I concur that FLL is a MUCH better option..also avoid Philly at all costs also...talk about baggage delays and other issues!

Better yet...we drive from PA anymore...that way we can avoid the airport crazieness, and I can take ALL of my gear! (cylinders, pony etc) Not to mention a case of Key West Sunset ale back with me! :eyebrow:

Suites of Key largo. 2 story condo style hotel with Kitchens and a great deck overlooking canal.

Well, having stayed there a few weeks ago, I will say that the places are large and the bed was OK.

However, right across the canal is a bar that stays open until about 2am, and has live bands OUTSIDE until after midnight. I didn't get a single decent night's sleep. Not fun when you have to meet the boat at 8am or earlier.

I like music, but when I can lay in my bed at midnight, and hear the musician cough (off-mike) from across the canal, I'm not happy.

Our shower was moldy, and NO ONE cleaned the place during our 3-day stay. No fresh towels, no new soap, nothing.

We also tried to get a late check-out since the boat would not be back until noon. Cost for late checkout was half the room rate.

I'll never stay there again.

I have dove with three places in the Key Largo area in the last 15 months. The only one I would go back to is Rainbow Reef. I have been underway with several of their crews and all are great. I've also stayed at a couple of the hotels, and my advice is to get the best price and whichever one of the bigger chains gives you the best point deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom