Key Largo-Rainbow Reef dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agesilaus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We finally made it to Key Largo at the same time as good weather, had four dives over two days on the Tropical Odyssey boat from Rainbow Reef. Friday dives were to the Winch Hole and Fire Coral cave. Saturday we went to Northstar and then back to Fire Coral which irritated me a bit. The boat crew knew that there were a number of people on board that were on the boat Friday, not just our three divers either. They post a schedule but don't feel any need to adhere to it.

They had Snapper Ledge and Pillar Coral scheduled for Friday and Hole in the Wall and Fire Coral for Saturday. Out of those four we went to one of them twice and the others none. I understand that the schedule needs to be flexible but it was sunny, clear and the seas were just about dead flat with maybe a 1 foot swell. I can't see why the conditions would make any difference in where they went.

That being said the places we did go were fine except for the duplication.

The boat crew was great very helpful and friendly. I give them five stars for that.

Now to our last dive, I was whining about duplicating Fire Coral but actually except for the swim thru we did not see the same stuff. we headed out for new territories and ended up in 45 feet of water. When we came up this is what we saw:

a long swim.jpg

Our boat isn't in the frame it's off on the left side and farther away than that visible boat. That's me in the back. I think our DM was newish at the job and got lost. I know I told him when I was down to 1200 psi and again when I hit 800. We passed a line down from a buoy and I was thinking that was the boat's dive buoy but it wasn't. I think the DM was thinking the same. When I got to 800 I headed up and he followed but when we got to the surface the boat was probably about a quarter mile away. He headed back down which puzzled me and I initially followed but then I was down to 500 and I headed back up followed by everyone else. My 15 year old son was down to 300 and he had told the DM as much and my wife was at 500 too. And I suspect the other three people were in the same pressure range.

No big deal, I inflated my sausage and waved it around. Not so easy it turns out That attracted the boat crews attention but we had to wait 20 mins or so for them to recover the other divers. Perfect weather for our float, 77 deg water temp and mid 80's air, seas were calm. The sausage turned out to be a good float that counteracted the backwards pull of the BCD.

I gave my son a warning to never be caught with 300 psi when you are diving, no matter what, head up before you get to 500. Ignore the DM if he doesn't. I should have been watching him more closely myself, but I usually run out of air first. I guess my attempts at breath control are making progress. I had a scare with the instructor from hell being at 70 feet with 300 psi a couple months ago.

I'm not going to mention the DM's name I doubt he will ever make that mistake again...heh. And I don't mean this incident to be read as a condemnation of Rainbow Reef. We had a very nice time with them and this event was just a bit of adventure at the end.

BK

Last edited:
Glad you had a good time, despite the 'hiccup.' I've dove with them last September and hope to go back someday.

Also glad you had calm seas for your, er, 'surface interval.'

Richard.

I was just at Rainbow Reefs shop yesterday scheduling dives for next month. Looking forward to diving with them in a few weeks for the 1st time , especially the Spiegel Grove.

I doubt they'd schedule a Spiegal Grove dive and then switch it. Not with a bunch of advanced divers on board. That sort of thing is easier to get away with with newbies.

BK

........They post a schedule but don't feel any need to adhere to it........... I can't see why the conditions would make any difference in where they went. ...........

BK

I'm only guessing, but they might have gotten a call from other boat captains that indicated visibility at the planned site was crappy. I've had that happen: sometimes vis can drop pretty dramatically at sites that are only half a mile apart. Or they might have got a call that the current was swift at the planned sites. Now if I'm correct, I'd have thought they would have told you why they switched sites.

I guess that's possible. They would not tell us ahead of time where we were going. They said that we'd have to wait until we got there.

There was a regular traffic jam of dive boats out, not surprising I guess when you consider how many dive shops there are in Key Largo.

BK

That's far away!!! Good thing you had nice sea conditions

If you're not responsible for your own location, your're at the mercy of someone else. With direct access to the surface from such shallow depths, surfacing pressure is not so important. I would suggest you become self sufficient in your navigation and gas management. as it should be.

Good diving, Craig

If you're not responsible for your own location, your're at the mercy of someone else. With direct access to the surface from such shallow depths, surfacing pressure is not so important. I would suggest you become self sufficient in your navigation and gas management. as it should be.

Good diving, Craig

Ah are you suggesting we should periodically surface to check the boat's location? Those DM's have the group zig-zagging around and I defy anyone to know their location without great familiarity with the area. Not without a plotting board, and that would seem to defeat the purpose of the dive---you know having a pleasant experience.

As for being responsible for air control, that's why I headed to the surface when I did, ignoring the DM. My son should have let me and his mother know when he was down to 300 psi and I don't think he will make that mistake again.

BK

Ah are you suggesting we should periodically surface to check the boat's location? Those DM's have the group zig-zagging around and I defy anyone to know their location without great familiarity with the area. Not without a plotting board, and that would seem to defeat the purpose of the dive---you know having a pleasant experience.

As for being responsible for air control, that's why I headed to the surface when I did, ignoring the DM. My son should have let me and his mother know when he was down to 300 psi and I don't think he will make that mistake again.

BK

Hi agesilaus,

Most operators in Key Largo do not put DMs in the water to guide you. I'm suggesting that you become self sufficient so that you can take care of youself and your family. I admit the some of the shallow sites are somewhat random in their layout. Surfacing once to take a heading back to the boat is not unreasonable in such circumstances. You should have a compass and know how to use it for this activity. You should be able to arrive back at your mooring or very close to it at the end of your dive. Navigation is your responsibilty. It is not wise to always rely on others to take you on a tour.

Good diving, Craig

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom