Key Largo-Rainbow Reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdbmga

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I don't see many posts about this dive operator. Are they not a good option?

We are planning a trip to the Keys this summer (for at least 3 days b4 our cruise) and my DH, who has been diving for 30+ years, would have in tow me (3 dives since certification in GC and Cozumel) and our kids (DS13 and DD19 who don't have any dives other than certification).

We were thinking he should have a guide in the water to help him with us and one of the only operators that don't charge for this service is RR.

Diving for 4, especially with having to rent equipment, really adds up so I'd rather not pay for a guide if RR service is good and they include one.

Thank you for your help.

RR is one of the few dive charters in the Upper Keys that put a dive guide in the water for free (technically they give you a small discount if you choose not to use the guide). The guide is usually a divemaster, and there will be one guide in the water for the entire boat (IIRC, 14 or 24 divers +/- depending on the boat). Unless you were the only ones who chose to use the guide, you may not have the guide to yourselves.

If what you really wanted was an instructor to assist your group and make sure you are comfortable, that can be set that up in advance with really any dive op in the area. Not a bad idea IMO with three brand-spankin'-new divers, but its your choice. (I wish I had done that for my first ocean dives, but that's another thread...) I don't know if you like smaller boats or not, but going out on a six-pack with just your group would be one way to get some personal attention.

Anyway, RR has good boats, they run a good operation, and the Key Largo operation is conveniently located in the marina at 100mm. I've used them in the past and given the circumstances work out I'm sure I'll use them sometime in the future. There are other good dive ops in that marina as well as some that are even better IMO elsewhere around the keys.

Have a good time!

John, thanks for the reply.

I have a call into Brent at Blue Water, maybe he can help us.

I went out with them as part of group a while back and they were a good operation to deal with and very convenient to the Ramada where we were staying. I would go with them again. We didn't use the guide for our group but it was an option that they offered.

My Wife and I have used Rainbow a couple different times and it was fine. I have been diving for quite a while and she was VERY new (5 or less dives since OW) on our first trip with them. Like a previous poster mentioned, there will be a guide, but they will be herding all the wet cats in the same direction. I guessed that the guide (who was a DM) would be very busy, so I went ahead and signed the wife up for a Nitrox class and thus she had a "private" instructor with her during her first 2 dives. This got her a quick useful cert and another set of eyes on her during the dive. Just make SURE to let them or any operator know your situation beforehand and NEVER worry about asking questions.

Have a safe trip!

One of the great things about RR is they have online package deal with "real time" rates for the three hotels at the marina there at milemarker 100. All the dive ops can package stay-and-dive packages, but you can see the rates and availability for the dates you had in mind, right from the RR website.

One of the great things about RR is they have online package deal with "real time" rates for the three hotels at the marina there at milemarker 100. All the dive ops can package stay-and-dive packages, but you can see the rates and availability for the dates you had in mind, right from the RR website.

Yes, I have used that feature. They have a great site!

Rainbow Reef has a great staff. You will have fun. Be sure to dive the wrecks.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom