Key Largo this weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HilaryRN71

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Went with the Down Under Dive Club for their Keys getaway this weekend. We went out on Saturday and Sunday with Conch Republic. As always, Capt. Gary and entire Conch Republic crew made it a blast. (And if you read this...I'm working on perfecting that wing recipe! :wink: )

Did one of the two scheduled dives on the Speigel Grove on Saturday. The current was pretty stiff, played flags on the downline. Had to pull hand over hand down to the deck, but the dive was pretty nice once you got down, just the ascents and descents were some serious work.) I decided to ditch the second Grove dive as i was tired, the boat was lulling me to sleep, and didn't feel like working all that hard. It's the Keys! Others that did the dive said the current had eased up a bit and had a great dive.

On Sunday we did dive #1 on the Duane, and #2 on Snapper Reef. The current was also stiff for the Duane dive, but a beauty once you get on the wreck. We swam in and out of the ship and basically had a blast. I love that dive. :) My favorite in the Keys. This was my first dive on Snapper Reef. The highlight for ME was finding 4 flamingo tongues...three on one fan. Of COURSE I hadn't bothered bringing a camera. My buddy for the day Larry seemed under impressed....I guess not everyone gets excited about mollusks and slugs like me. :D He was thrilled with the two reef sharks and the nurse shark we saw. ( I was going thru a swimthrough and missed the reef sharks, but the nurse shark was a nice sight. And I didn't try to kiss it...thus my lips are intact...see post on man kissing shark.)

All in all a fun weekend...looking forward to my next trip down to the Keys!

Were the reef sharks on the duane or snappers ledge?

deeper thoughts:
Were the reef sharks on the duane or snappers ledge?
The reef sharks were on Snapper's Ledge. Didn't see any sharks that I could for sure identify on the Duane. As I was on the starboard side, coming out of a room (I'm not good enough to say what sort of room...:) there was something good sized off in the distance. Viz was maybe 50 feet but I still don't think it was a shark. Perhaps a tarpon. Did see a NICE sized goliath off of the Grove the day before. I was still more excited about the flamingo tongues. :)

Nice I will be taking our boat to snappers tommorrow and hope for some of the same

HilaryRN71:
As always, Capt. Gary and entire Conch Republic crew made it a blast. (And if you read this...I'm working on perfecting that wing recipe! :wink: )

When you get those wings past medocire let me know. %^)

Good Diving,

Capt Gary,
How is Mr. Henry doing these days at Conch? Poor slob probably misses the Quarry diving around here. Next time you see him...ask him about the orange hand. Sup Clint?!

John

jjwdiver:
Capt Gary,
How is Mr. Henry doing these days at Conch? Poor slob probably misses the Quarry diving around here. Next time you see him...ask him about the orange hand. Sup Clint?!

John
Hey John,

Clint's doing get here. Don't hear him complain too much about the quarries, although he did mention something about a new dry suit he'll not be able to use too much down here. I'll ask him about he orange hand when he gets back this afternoon and let you know.

Good Diving,

We'll do an extended one for him in Wazee Sunday. Can't wait to get there to see your place and do some diving in '07.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom