Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zak87

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
well i dove the spiegel grove this week end it lies in 140 foot of water and it is a must dive for advanced open water divers a wreck divers

Zak,

The Grove is pretty amazing. If you get a chance at the Duane or the Eagle, take it. They're both great wrecks, though quite a bit smaller. If you like reefs, think about Snapper Ledger.

I was in Key Largo Last week, and the place was empty. Have the tourists returned?

Zak,

The Grove is pretty amazing. If you get a chance at the Duane or the Eagle, take it. They're both great wrecks, though quite a bit smaller. If you like reefs, think about Snapper Ledger.

I was in Key Largo Last week, and the place was empty. Have the tourists returned?

No!
It's nowhere near the usual holiday crowds. Lots of room on the dive boats

Are the currents on the Spiegel Grove any lighter this time of year. I dove it in July and they were very strong. If you didn't hold onto the mooring line on the way up and down you were gone. On the safety stop I hung horizontally and fluttered like a flag in the wind. It was an awesome dive though.

Are the currents on the Spiegel Grove any lighter this time of year. I dove it in July and they were very strong. If you didn't hold onto the mooring line on the way up and down you were gone. On the safety stop I hung horizontally and fluttered like a flag in the wind. It was an awesome dive though.

That's what the Safety Stop looks like on the Speigel Grove...a line full of fluttering divers...

Truly one of my all time favorite sites!!

Attachments

• Spegiel Safety Stop.jpg
    Spegiel Safety Stop.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Speigel Safety Stop2.jpg
    Speigel Safety Stop2.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 49
That's what the Safety Stop looks like on the Speigel Grove...a line full of fluttering divers...

Truly one of my all time favorite sites!!

Somehow, there always seems to be a barracuda, flicking his tail lazily once in a while, as I hang on for dear life on that particular line.

Great thing about the Speigel Grove, once you get down there, you can always find a way to hide from the current, or ride it.

well i dove the spiegel grove this week end it lies in 140 foot of water and it is a must dive for advanced open water divers a wreck divers

Zak87 (or anyone),

I have a dive to the Speigel Grove scheduled for the first week in January. Do I need a wreck medallion?

Is the depth you quoted (140 fsw) the max depth at the keel?

I am AOW certified, but my dive partner is only OW. We have a DM scheduled for the AM dive that day (partner hasn't been wet in over a year) and we're thinking of using one for the Speigel Grove dive in the PM due to the depth/wreck issues. Is it normally a penetration dive (which neither of us is qualified for)?

It was 3 degrees here in Pittsburgh yesterday. :depressed: I can't take much more!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Zak87 (or anyone),

I have a dive to the Speigel Grove scheduled for the first week in January. Do I need a wreck medallion?

I am AOW certified, but my dive partner is only OW. We have a DM scheduled for the AM dive that day (partner hasn't been wet in over a year) and we're thinking of using one for the Speigel Grove dive in the PM due to the depth/wreck issues. Is it normally a penetration dive (which neither of us is qualified for)?

It was 3 degrees here in Pittsburgh yesterday. :depressed: I can't take much more!

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

1) Yes, your dive op will most likely require a medallion. They'll sell you one.

2) Yes, 140 feet is the ocean floor. The cranes, superstructure and decks are much shallower.

3) The wreck is not a penetration dive and it is highly advisable that you DO NOT penetrate the wreck unless you have special wreck diving training and equipment. OTOH, there are many safe "swim throughs" that are fine to go through. In many you can enter through the side and exit a few feet away through the top of the structure. All of these have obvious entry/exit points and have natural light.

Good diving!

Last edited:
Zak87 (or anyone),

Hey krbailey,

Let me see if I can answer some of your questions.

The wreck medallions are recommended by most of the shops, including mine, as 100% of the monies collected goes towards paying off the loan to sink the ship. This will be the same mode of operation for the Vandenberg when it's sank too.

Max depth for the Spiegel Grove is around 145' to the sand at the keel of the ship. Most shops will not want you to go to that depth as it is outside the rec dive standards.

Again most shops if you haven't been in the water in over a year will require a DM/Inst to go with you on your first dive. If it's been 2 years then most require a refresher with an Instructor.

The Spiegel Grove does have several penetrations, but it's not recommended by most shops to do. It does have several swim-thru's though. Just for clearification a penetration is one where you can not see an exist opening on the other end. A swim-thru is one where you can clearly see an exist path.

The Spiegel is a great dive as are the Duane and the Eagle. Enjoy the artificial reefs down here, they have some amazing life on them.

Good Diving,

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom