Keys diving advice for newbies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenlaur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are traveling to Islamorada for a weekend in June to do our first dive after becoming certified. Since this will be our first "real dive" would it be best to go with a smaller operation that we can rely on for assistance if we need it? We booked originally with Keys Dives out of Bud and Marys because they sounded pretty attentive. I think they mainly go to Alligator Reef but I really don't care to go to there as we have snorkeled there many times. Florida Keys Dive Center lists many other reefs that they frequent and many of these are much nicer than Alligator. Also, I have seen Conch Republic mentioned here. I'd be curious to know your recommendations. Keep in mind that this will be our 1st dive after getting certified and we are a wee bit nervous.

Congratulations!!!!

When I was certified and made my first Keys dives which were my first ocean dives, I paid extra to have a divemaster dive with me. Best money I ever spent. He pointed out so many things and made it a truly memorable trip. This was in June 1980...if I'm still remembering that first couple of dives, they must have been great huh? I only have dove with Conch and not the others you mention, so I can't compare them but do pay a divemaster to accompany you, it's so worth it!

That's great advice Debby gave you, especially if your certification dives were completed in an enviroment different from the Keys.

Regardless of what shop you decide to dive with or whether or not you dive with a Divemaster guiding you, just remember your training, don't be afraid to ask questions of the staff on board the boats and TAKE YOUR TIME!

Remember your training: I'm sure you were taught and had the chance to practice all the fundamentals throughout your checkout dives. That is the stuff that will get you out of a bind, so go over it all in your mind, each time you go diving, until it becomes second nature, which it eventually will if you dive often enough. Remember, practice doesn't make perfect, rather, "perfect practice makes perfect!" So complete your prep and actual diving the way your instructor taught you, unless the enviroment is different, then it is usually best to rely on local divemasters to show you the ropes, as Debby so wisely suggested.

Don't be afraid to ask questions: I have been actively diving for over 20 years and am rated as an PADI Open Water Instructor, Mixed Gas and Closed-Circuit Rebreather Diver, and I still have to ask questions almost every dive. When the staff gives briefings, make sure to pay close attention. If there's anything you didn't hear or would like clarified (i.e., when to suit up, when to jump in, which direction the current is running, which way to go, how long to stay down, how to safely exit the water, etc.), just ask - Don't be shy or embarrassed! Better to be safe then sorry!!

Take your time: When you are new to diving, everything will take you longer to accomplish, and that's ok! You will find divers onboard with all different levels of experience, and some will be suiting up quickly and moving pretty fast to get off the boat and into the water - Let them go at their pace and you go at yours! Even if you feel you are slowing people down, make a reasonable effort to not inconvenience other divers, but you need to be comfortable and do your thing at your pace. There's no shame in taking your time and doing things right!

Most importantly, Have Fun! Diving can be a lot of work, so take your time, savor the beautiful ocean experience in the Keys and make the best of it, and keep it low stress, that way you will be relaxed and be comfortable when you see the amazing things you will see underwater!

Best of luck to you!

When you call to make your reservations just talk with the dive shop employee and explain to them your situation. They deal with new divers all the time, so it's not a big deal to them.

As far as operators go, I'd recommend, in no particular order: Conch Republic, Horizon Divers and Ocean Divers.

I would highly recommend Blue Water Divers primarily because you can probably get Brent to dive with you. They run a good op and Brent is a great guy with tons of experience in the Keys.

I agree with scubaguy.. I dove with Brent shortly after certification (I just looked dives 15 & 16) and he took it easy on me! (btw..Blue Water is just a few mile markers up from Islamorada)

Don't be afraid to tell the operator that you are new to ocean diving, or new to diving...they'll hook you up!

I started a thread about Islamorada, and there are a lot of good reccomendations in that as well!

Have fun!

Actually i just responded to your other thread recommending Key Dives. They normally take snorkelers to Alligator because it is shallow (+/- 25ft) and protected and has great marine life. They take the divers out to different locations that are somewhat deeper. Having said that, Alligator Reef will look differently from the bottom - it is made up of inverted ledges that is favored by all kinds of fauna. Good luck with your OW and hope that your first experience is a great one - with this weather you are probably stuck at Jules Pond.

Its a great time of year; you should have good weather - all great suggestions, however also use the search function to get more info as there is lots of info there - then you can really have a ton of info to best assit you.

Or you could drive 10 miles north to Key Largo and dive with Quiessence. They run 6 pack boats and you can decide at the dock where you want to go. If you want a really nice dive, ask them to take you to the City of Washington wreck. It is shallow, the vis is usually outstanding and it is crawling with sea life. Juts my two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom