Keystorm - 1000 Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickydazla

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I had the very great pleasure of going to dive the 1000 Islands a couple of weekends ago with two of my good friends. Topside this area, where Lake Ontario spills into the St Lawrence River, is absolutely stunning and underwater it is no different. There are a number of wrecks on both the US and Canadian side which sit up against the numerous islets and shoals which are a dream to dive.

The water is warm (I dove in a 5mm suit with hood and gloves) and clear (at least 40' to easily 80' if not more) and there are so many fish that you could be forgiven for thinking you were diving in the tropics! On our first day there after a 4 hour drive from Niagara Falls we dove the Vickery, a wooden schooner at 80' - on the way down the line several large sheephead swam past, the wreck itself was covered in bass, we saw a couple of large walleye and a school of 100+ catfish under the keel.

Unfortunately, like an idiot, I forgot my camera the second day, when we did 5 dives! Hence I have nothing to show you of our dives on the Muscallonge, the Gaskin, the Lilly Parsons, the Daryaw and the America. They were beautiful though. It was nice to see a huge number of active shops and divers using well buoyed, marked and protected dive sites. All the wrecks were very well preserved and were exciting to dive with currents ripping around most of them.

On the Sunday before we drove back to Michigan we dove the Keystorm, an amazing wreck that lies on a shoal with bow in 25' and stern at around 120'. I took my camera this time and got a few nice shots, as well as a little video around the bow. I hope you enjoy them and I truly hope you all get the chance/make the effort to get over to the 1000 Islands, it is really an incredible place to see and dive.

Bruno's Dive Shop - Dive Trip Photos 09.13.08 (1000 Islands - Keystorm)

Cheers

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom