HMHS Britannic (Kea Island, Greece -- 385 fsw)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are deeper (of course) and there are a few bigger but the Britannic is, IMHO, the pinnacle of wreck diving. In my latest post, I compare it to climbing the "Savage Mountain" of K2 (vis-a-vis Everest which is taller, but not nearly as challenging). The wreck itself is nearly completely intact which is so rare given that it sank in 1916 as a result of an underwater mine.

She sank in an astonishing 55 minutes.

The complete story of the Britannic along with our experience diving the wreck, the gasses we used, etc. -- and, of course, a ton of photos -- is posted at the link below:

This is a follow-on, wreck specific article for my Trip Report to Kea Island which I posted earlier, but is linked here.

I want to thank my fellow divers Ben Lair, Justin Judd, and the guide, George Vandoros and the team at Keadivers. It truly was an amazing experience.

Here is a teaser photo of divers inside the corridor on the promenade deck:

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 7.59.00 AM.png

I will also be publishing posts about the other two wrecks we dove while at Kea: the Patris and the Burdigala. Stay tuned and sign up for the blog to not miss any updates!

- brett

So serious question. What's next?

Well, my "project list" currenlty has between 20-25 entries in it. Most are not 100m dives.

If you mean in the deep 100m+ category, the three at the top of the list (not in any particular order):

HMS Olympus (N35) in Malta
USS Atlanta (CL-51) in Solomons
USS Hopewell (DD-681) off San Clemente Island, Calif

There are a few others in the deep category, but those are the three that I have hopes to dive.

Believe it or not, the USS Hopewell is probably the hardest even though it is in my own backyard. That is because of weather, conditions, logistics, infrastructure, etc. I'm pretty sure there have been less than 10 divers on that wreck. I know the two guys who first dove it. They did it on OC and drift deco. Titanium balls on those two guys.

There is a chance I'll get back to the Britannic. If I do, I put a list of projects for that at the end of my post.

Regards,

- brett

Believe it or not, the USS Hopewell is probably the hardest even though it is in my own backyard. That is because of weather, conditions, logistics, infrastructure, etc. I'm pretty sure there have been less than 10 divers on that wreck. I know the two guys who first dove it. They did it on OC and drift deco. Titanium balls on those two guys.
I believe it. I attended a talk about a historical wreck off the coast of Oregon where conditions allowed maybe 1 week out of the year to dive/study. Not deep or anything. Everyone basically had to be willing to drop everything and go (drive at night, start in the morning).

I know you have been up here before, but in the last three years, two very very intact freighters have been found off of Presque Isle in the 100M range.
The Ohio and the Ironton.
Might be worth a trip back.

Well, my "project list" currenlty has between 20-25 entries in it. Most are not 100m dives.

If you mean in the deep 100m+ category, the three at the top of the list (not in any particular order):

HMS Olympus (N35) in Malta
USS Atlanta (CL-51) in Solomons
USS Hopewell (DD-681) off San Clemente Island, Calif

There are a few others in the deep category, but those are the three that I have hopes to dive.

There is a chance I'll get back to the Britannic. If I do, I put a list of projects for that at the end of my post.

Regards,

- brett
yeah, the deepest I plan on going would be 100 meters max. Just the first of the "graveyard of shipwrecks" in Greece where it is wreck after wreck into the abyss. At least so claims an old sponge diver. I'll leave it to guys like you to keep going.

I know you have been up here before, but in the last three years, two very very intact freighters have been found off of Presque Isle in the 100M range.
The Ohio and the Ironton.
Might be worth a trip back.

That is very tempting. The Merrick was on my list the last time I was there but conditions weren't right to dive it.

I will send you a DM regarding scheduling. I'd love to get back up there and dive them.

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom