kicking post-arthroscopy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
yesterday i had my arthroscopic surgery and wondered about frog-kicking.

i always had minor problems with clicking and some pain but several months ago
did a pool session with doubles and 2 stage bottles.
after some hard frog kicking and trying to master backwards finning my knee got much worse.

i had a chunk knocked off of the medial femoral condyle (apparently old injury) that they trimmed and smoothed out, and a small "trimming" of the medial meniscus near the crater.

has anyone had experience with this type of medial cartilage or meniscus damage with repair?
have you been able to kick as before?
how about frog-kicking?

how long before you went back diving?

i (of course ) will follow my surgeon's advice but i am already getting antsy to plan a winter divie trip!

thanks in advance

dt

Can't comment on before v after kicking. It's been several years since my arthroscopic surgery and I didn't dive then, but I've never had a problem with my knees and frog kicking. It looks like we've had very similar surgeries as well. The only problems I have are soreness in my thigh and hip muscles if it's been awhile since I frog kicked. I even wear a brace on my knee and I haven't experienced any problems with it while underwater.

thanks

i imagine after rehab i'll know for sure but at least then i could only blame it on my technique

maybe i'll find a dir-f course to ork on the technical aspect

dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom