Killed my old strobe :( What to get next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The_blue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I've killed my very old DS-50. :( It had a long, hard life.

I'm looking at a replacement for it.

The 3 choices i have in mind are the DS-51, the YS-01 and YS-02.

I'm using a canon G12 with canon housing. I also have the ike EV controller from mu old DS50.

Would/could i even use the TTL on the YS-01?

Are there any obvious strobes i've overlooked?

I've been using Ike's for decades... I still have two 225s and some little thing that are about 30 years old... They aren't compatible with my current cameras, but they still work.

I am using dual 161s now and they have performed flawlessly...

I use the DS-51 and the EV controller with my G12. If you are all set up for it and have been successful using the EV contoller, why not just stay "manual"?

Is the 51 much different than your old 50?

Bill

No, I think the 51 is a update of the 50. Same power, casing and controls. I've no problems staying manual but wondered if TTL was worth the extra. Its great out of water :)

I notice the sea n sea strobes are a little more powerful and quite a bit cheaper. Plus not having the separate EV controller wouldn't be a bad thing.

Overall would I notice any major difference when using?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added November 3rd, 2013 at 03:59 PM ----------

Oh and thanks for the replies :wink:

i have ys-01 for sale... brand new

Well, used equipment would certainly fill the bill.

Blue, which housing are you using? If it's an Ikelite then I would certainly recommend their cable and a used Ike strobe for TTL.

Ikelite Sync Cords

They also have a fiber optic trigger now: 4401 Fiber Optic Adapter for DS Substrobes

Which would work with F/O strobes.

I have a DS-50, DS-51 and a YS-110, which I use interchangeably with an Oly housing. I position one of the Ike EV controllers toward the F/O ports on the housing and the other at the subject. Or I will use the YS-110 with a F/O and one of the Ike DS's with its EV toward the subject.

The system is a little cumbersome. Ikelite keeps lagging technology (mirrorless camera systems), but so does my disposable income.

well if your may be getting a sea sea ys strobe i would defiantly get the ys-d1- i know you can get it on eBay brad new for under 600$- its small, very small flash to a huge burst settings, and super easy to use- best strobe ever!
i dont know any thing about canon housings and if their ikelite only or sea sea only strobs, to have the simple fiber optic cable or
sink cord setup or if you have to have a converter, make shur the housing and strobes are compatible :wink:

Thanks for that, the camera and housing are good to go with the option optical cord.

Hi all, I want for the sea & sea as you might of guessed. :) looking forward to getting it wet :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom