Kiribati - Christmas Island diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pearl4diving

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm hoping someone in this forum may be able to give some insider, "been there done that", diving recommendation for Christmas Island in Kiribati.

I live on Oahu, and I hear there is a direct flight from Honolulu to Kiribati. Also, seems there are two options for diving. Either staying at the Captain Cook Hotel and diving with Kiribati Divers or staying at the All-Inclusive resort of the "Christmas Island Divers Association" ( http://www.christmasislanddiversassociation.com/ )

Anyone familiar with diving here or either of these operations?

I noticed that Kiribati divers say 4-5 dives a day, whereas the other says 2 dives a day...wondering why that is...

Any info or experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I will be watching this thread. I have heard that the diving is amazing in Kiribati. I hope I hear something from someone that has done it because I would love to plan a trip there someday.

Debraw:
I will be watching this thread. I have heard that the diving is amazing in Kiribati. I hope I hear something from someone that has done it because I would love to plan a trip there someday.

Here is some info on the Phoenix Islands in Kiribati
from the Northeast Aquarium Web site. They did two trips to these Islands in 2000 and 2002.

http://www.neaq.org/scilearn/conservation/primal.html

Pearl,
We can do up to 3 dives a day, however, you will probably be exhausted at the end of your day. You see, unlike our competition who only goes out 10-15 minutes from the launch area (like most Hawaii dive operators), we base our diving style after the dive operations in Palau--most notably, Sam's Tours. We leave the launch area at 9am go about 45minutes-an hour out to the best sites for big fish, shark,manta and pelagic action, then go to a remote white sand beach for an hour lunch break where you can bird watch and snorkle, then we go to our next site and get back around 3:30pm. It is a full-day tour. If we do a 3'rd dive we get back around 5 and everyone is sunburnt and exhausted (experience talking). We therefore do not advertise 3 tank dives, but will do them upon request for an extra $10 per day (making the package rate still cheaper than our competition). Basically you give up a dive or 2 to get the better, farther-off dive sites.
Safe Diving,
Robert Lower
owner, Christmas Island Diver's Association

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom