Kirkland Flonase Alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Coming up on the January trip. Struggled with congestion on the last trip and some have recommended Flonase. At Costco, they have an alternative with the same active ingredient, but it's about 70% less. Anyone tried it and have any results to report? The nozzle system is different, any problems there? Thanks.

Coming up on the January trip. Struggled with congestion on the last trip and some have recommended Flonase. At Costco, they have an alternative with the same active ingredient, but it's about 70% less. Anyone tried it and have any results to report? The nozzle system is different, any problems there? Thanks.
I have used it for years. I believe it is exactly the same, except for price. Psuedoephidrine works better for diving but I take both.

I have used it for years. I believe it is exactly the same, except for price. Psuedoephidrine works better for diving but I take both.
Note that psuedophidrine only works in nasal spay. They have been selling it as a pill for years and the FDA recently warned it does not work.

I take zyrtec (costco generic) and found it better than flonase.

And for a cheap thrill, pop a couple of altoids before diving and it may clear you right up.

Some of these OTC drugs like this will lower/raise the convulsion threshold. I hope @Duke Dive Medicine can chime in.

Note that psuedophidrine only works in nasal spay. They have been selling it as a pill for years and the FDA recently warned it does not work.
You are misremembering.

Phenylephrine is the drug the FDA said does not work in pill form. Pseudoephedrine works fine in pill form.

You are misremembering.

Phenylephrine is the drug the FDA said does not work in pill form. Pseudoephedrine works fine in pill form.
Correct. Pseudofed PE (phenylephrine) is the one which the FDA says does not work and is being pulled. Pseudofed (pseudoephedrine) works fine, but is behind the counter. The former was created after the latter moved from OTC to behind the counter because morons were making crystal meth from the latter.

They are virtually the same. Tends to be more effective for allergies than antihistamines like cetirizine and also helpful for nonallergic rhinitis, which antihistamines not. If that's not enough and you need a decongestant, I'd suggest limited, careful use of oxymetazoline (generic Afrin) spray as it has a longer half-life than pseudoephedrine, so less likely to wear off while you are underwater. But if used round the clock (i.e., twice a day) for more than about 3 days, you can get a nasty rebound where your nose really blocks up for a few days when you stop, so only use it intermittently. Also, try regular neti pot irrigation with saline to see if that helps your nose - there's good evidence to support that. And no whining you don't like salt water running through your nose! :p

Flonase or the generic equivalent (COSTCO) is a nasal steroid and can take several days to become effective. I have terrible seasonal allergies and generic Flonase is a critical part of the regimen. Immediate relief is just not one of its strengths

Also, try regular neti pot irrigation with saline to see if that helps your nose - there's good evidence to support that. And no whining you don't like salt water running through your nose! :p

The closest I have ever came to drowning was trying a damned Neti pot standing in my bathroom. Those things are the devil! I thought I was dying.

The closest I have ever came to drowning was trying a damned Neti pot standing in my bathroom. Those things are the devil! I thought I was dying.
Voluntary water boarding!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom