KISS Sidewinder Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ve spent some time trying to figure out what the attraction of the SW is if you’re not just cave diving.

I think a lot of people like them due to cost. They're inexpensive compared to most other units and I've heard from a number of people that price was a factor.

It’s pretty easy for me to get into the sidewinder. Pick it up racing it. Swing it around your back while sliding into the arms. The laying backwards over the table is worthless.
I have 18#s on a DR weight plate on my SMS75 with sidewinder (for 3-8C water) . The weight needs to be up high on my back for trim purposes. Add the cans and sorb with flopping loop and its a huge pita.

It’s pretty easy for me to get into the sidewinder. Pick it up racing it. Swing it around your back while sliding into the arms. The laying backwards over the table is worthless.

This is how I do it. I've also recently worked out a way to done the O2 after the harness. Makes it way easier.

I've known Edd for a long time and he is one of the more direct humans I know. If you have any questions, I'll bet he will be more than happy to give you a 100% straight up answer.

What I observe is that people come to realize their initial CCR training didn't encompass a lot of things that he teaches and that's why experienced divers recommend him.

Hey, keep in mind that Cave Adventurers is actually in the central time zone, so if you call in the early morning, you might not get anyone because it's not open yet.

This is how I do it. I've also recently worked out a way to done the O2 after the harness. Makes it way easier.
Hi,

Any chance to get a short video, I am not really visualizing how you do it?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Christophe.

Hi,

Any chance to get a short video, I am not really visualizing how you do it?

Thanks,
Cheers,
Christophe.

This is the donning technique, or are you looking for the bottle monting?

@chris_duc I made a new thread.

Just an addendum to my post about the social media fanboi influence. Was at our local quarry opening day chatting with a guy I knew from FB. He started going on about the SW after seeing I’d recently ordered a Spirit. I told him some of the info from here and recommended he check out this thread. This is someone without any SM experience.

I’ve spent some time trying to figure out what the attraction of the SW is if you’re not just cave diving. Must be the looks cool thing and all the social media attention it gets. I dive with a number of folks regularly who are on the Sidekick and know others with the SW. These were all first CCRs. Everyone had already been diving SM for a number of years.

The SW is a massive PITA to get into if you’re wearing thick undies, from the struggles I’ve witnessed. Fish flopping on land type struggles. Seems much fiddlier as a whole
than regular OC SM, just from watching SW divers.

I can’t comment on performance. I’ve spent a lot of time talking to folks ahead of buying my own unit (next year probably, Spirit), and the SW just seems to be a massive pain for folks who boat dive. I can’t imagine trying to don it on a rocking boat.
I saw a video of a guy diving one in backmount doubles and thought it would be a neat setup for travel as the loop itself doesn't weigh very much and can be divided into multiple bags vs my revo that consumes a whole case. My intention is sub 60m wreck dives. My cave instructor had the same thoughts and a class going so we decided to try a little experiment.... It does work and is self contained like a backmount rebreather would be, just a bit more trouble to get into. Would be much easier in a wetsuit... But I agree overall the thing is kinda a turd unless you have a specific use for it in mind, which is what it was created for in the first place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom